Re: [XP] why only one customer?

  • Adrian Howard
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 6 4:49 AM
      On 5 Jul 2006, at 21:08, David Carlton wrote:

      > When writing software, there are two aspects of design: there's the
      > design as it looks to the programmers, and the design as its looks to
      > the users.
      >
      > XP uses collective design for the former; my understanding is that it
      > doesn't particularly recommend collective design for the latter. (The
      > details of exactly how the Customer selects stories aren't proscribed,
      > but there's supposed to be a single Customer voice.)
      >
      > Why this difference? Is it a good thing or a bad thing? Or am I
      > completely off the rails?
      [snip]

      Slightly off the rails maybe :-)

      While the XP practices don't have anything to say about how the
      people in the Customer role produce stories - I'd say the values
      would tend to support a collaborative process. It's certainly been my
      experience that collaborative teams (business folk, UX folk,
      technical authors, developers, etc.) work best.

      All the single voice is about is ensuring that we don't have
      different people feeding contradictory requirements into the software
      development process. The people in the Customer role can disagree -
      but since they're the ones with the business knowledge they need to
      figure out what's needed before they tell the developers what stories
      to implement.

      Look at it from the other direction. The Developers speak to the
      Customer with one voice - the software being developed. There's only
      one bit of software and this is what the Customer uses to figure out
      whether the developers are doing what the Customer needs. The
      developers are free, indeed encouraged, to collaborate with the
      Customer - but they drive the next stage of the development process
      using the single voice of the software being developed.

      Cheers,

      Adrian