Re: [XP] Which Extreme Programming?

  • Bill Caputo
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 30, 2006
      > Or it could be that
      >
      > 3. There is no such thing as XP;
      >
      > 4. XP is over;
      >
      > 5. ...

      5. XP never was?

      Seriously, my feeling is that both books suggest a common methodology,
      one that encourages the creation of single-use process definitions
      that are consistent with the XP values. I.e. each project is best
      served by a process definition specific to it, and the XP approach
      helps practioners get good at discovering and refining that definition
      as the project, the people on it, and the world around it, changes.

      In short, what keeps changing about the XP methodolgy is the specific
      examples of which practices work and which ones don't because what
      works for any one project will *never* work for another exactly (or
      even for the same project over its entire lifetime), but since
      methodolgy is commonly understood to be just such a concrete
      description of what works, XP never has really existed. :-)

      Best,
      Bill