Re: [XP] TDD with installers

  • Thiago Arrais
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 30 7:01 AM
      Jeff,

      I do something similar to what Randy described. I don't work with
      VMWare, but with the Eclipse platform. Technologies are different but
      the idea is very similar.

      What we do is to install a testing application (a plugin on Eclipse
      jargon) on the host platform before running the installer. The testing
      program needs to be very simple to install so you don't need a test
      for the test and don't get any false reds/greens. We then run the
      installer and the testing program.

      The approach is pretty slow to provide feedback, like you pointed, but
      we don't do as much installer work as we do application work. So the
      installer tests are run at integration/build time only. If the
      installer starts to get complex, I am sure we'll need to look for a
      faster alternative.

      Cheers,

      Thiago Arrais
      --
      Mergulhando no Caos - http://thiagoarrais.blogspot.com
      Pensamentos, idéias e devaneios sobre desenvolvimento de software e