RE: [XP] Metrics As Pacifiers

  • Ilja Preuss
    Message 1 of 31 , Jun 6 1:51 AM
      > I'd rather automate their collection and keep some of
      > them.

      In my experience, there typically is a lot of value in not totally
      automating the collection of metrics - doing at least some steps manually
      makes it easier to notice anomalies and changes, and makes you think about
      how to adapt to changed situations. If you can make updating the metric a
      team ritual, all the better.

      I also suspect that there is a psychological effect: people seem to take
      metrics more seriously when they know that someone is investing some amount
      of work into gathering them.

      > I'm not comfortable with publishing every metric I have
      > to "management", though I'm happy having them all on the wall of the
      > team room.

      I'd be a little bit concerned about oversaturation - every metric you
      display removes a little bit of focus from the important ones.

      But as always, there isn't an easy answer... ;)

      Cheers, Ilja

      --
      "Information Radiation in Practice -
      Communication Tools for Colocated Teams"

      Tutorial at the XP2006 conference, Oulu
      www.xp2006.org
      17.06.2006
    • Ilja Preuss