Re: [XP] Commitment and Consistency

  • PaulOldfield1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2006
      (responding to Patrick)

      >> I suspect this is BDUF vs. Embrace Change in another form.
      >
      > It is related to that, and more. This is about deep and subliminal
      > psychological behavior.

      Agreed, but this 'subliminal' behaviour can probably be trained
      away, which might be a useful thing to do.

      <snip>

      > The results indicated, given this improved information:
      >
      > * The group with signed, publicized estimates are less likely to
      > change their original estimates than the other two.
      >
      > * The group with written private estimates are the second less
      > likely to change their original estimates.
      >
      > * The group with unwritten estimates are most likely to change
      > their original estimates.

      For a randomly selected sample of the population, I would
      expect such results. Suppose we pre-selected groups by
      other likely indicators of whether they embrace change;
      say Creationists vs. Darwinists, Trad programmers vs. Agile,
      etc. though. I suggest that the results would be more
      pronounced in the group we do not expect to embrace
      change than in the other group. I haven't done the experiment
      and don't intend to, but I believe without evidence that the
      effect would be less pronounced in people that embrace change;
      in people that are prepared to accept and deal with instability.

      IME I can train people to embrace change; to freely admit that
      what they said earlier has been proved wrong in the light
      of new information... provided they are in a culture that does
      not contradict the message I'm putting across, e.g. by
      punishing decisions and estimates that were wrong despite
      due diligence being applied.

      Paul Oldfield