User eXperience and XP

  • Steve Ivy
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2006
      Has anyone has listened to this podcast from the Agile Toolkit Podcast
      from August of last year?

      http://agiletoolkit.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=15584

      It's a round table discussing the relationship between User-Centered
      Design and agile methodologies. Most of the interesting information
      to me was from Lynn Miller, UX lead at Alias Software. She leads a UX
      team that plays the role of XP customer for their development team,
      and her experences are detailed in an experience report paper for
      Agile 2005 [1], found here [2].

      Here are my notes from the podcast. I'd love to get some feedback from
      the list - is anyone working with User Experience/Usability people, or
      have UX/Usability experts on the team? How do you handle the division
      of labor and the general flow of information?

      * Lynn's UX team gathers requirements up front, but light
      requirements (would like more detail on this)
      * Design one iteration ahead of the programmers, to allow for
      prototyping, usability testing, user input
      * Alias has two week iterations (and internal releases) - design
      iterations are the same
      * Do just enough design to bring it to the user so they can say if it works
      * Hand off proven test to developers (not sure if this represents
      acceptance test or something else?)
      * End user is the UX customer
      * UX lead is the XP customer
      * UX team may bring back feature requests from end users to
      iteration planning meeting, and work with developers to determine how
      important it is in relation to existing stories. Insert if
      appropriate, defer, or throw out.
      * UX prioritizes stories based on user needs, Development
      prioritizes stories based on risk
      * To consider: Lynn is working on shrink-wrap products vs. IT
      products (what's the difference?)
      * UX helps user customer find out what they want, establish
      understanding of cost (how?)
      * UX helps domain expert (user customer) translate their domain
      knowledge into design for software for that domain
      * They do Goal Setting beforehand with the customer (not familiar
      enough with this - read up)
      * Once requirements/stories get to development, they don't change a
      lot in Lynn's experience - the iterative design process has given the
      customer a chance to see/touch the rough UI and feel comfortable that
      what they want is going to be built (my interp.)
      * Post-development they still do acceptance testing, etc.
      (Beta-testing per the paper)

      I've since read through Lynn's paper, titled "Case Study of Customer
      Input For a Successful Product", which provides much more detail on
      Alias' process, including a dual-track model for developers and
      interaction designers that seems to address many goals of both UCD and
      XP. I'm very interested in thoughts from the list on the ideas
      presented and any relevant experiences.

      Thanks,

      Steve Ivy
      http://redmonk.net