Re: [XP] Re: Like Garlic for Vampires

    Message 1 of 25 , Jun 1, 2006
      On Thursday, June 1, 2006, at 4:28:50 AM, Dan Bunea wrote:

      >> Yes ... another thing that happens in "Flow" is that one may be
      >> concentrating well, but not being productive. We've all had that
      >> sensation of finally giving up on something we've been at for hours,
      >> and then realizing the problem before we get halfway home.
      >>
      >> Flow is good, but it's not everything.

      > a great answer, as always. I wonder why people tend to have too simple
      > answers, for very complex problems: "if I work/concentrate more, I will be
      > more productive" is one of these. Possibly, people see a problem: "I
      > didn't finish on time", find the cause: "because there was noise, and I
      > couldn't focus", then apply negation and think that they have found the
      > solution: "if I focus more I will be more productive". Unfortunately,
      > answers about such a complex problem as productivity and efficiency, are
      > complex themselves and cannot be simplified beyond a certain limit. After
      > all Einstein said that things thoud be made as simple as possible, but not
      > simpler.

      Yes. I don't want to go all Zen, but I'm sure I'm more productive
      when I'm relaxed. I need to be working, but once I sit down to do
      the work, the more calm and cool I am, the better it goes. I am
      concentrating, focused ... mindful, perhaps ... but not
      concentrating or working "hard".

      The times when I don't like to be interrupted are times when my
      computer is broken and I'm trying to figure out what to do about it,
      and even that is probably more because I'm tense and angry than
      because the concentration has any real value.

      This is how I develop software.
      Take the parts that make sense to you.
      Ignore the rest.
    • Dan Bunea
      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 1, 2006
        I can see your point very well. Some of the best ideas I had, regarding
        how to solve a problem, happened in weekends, holidays, walking home from
        work, where I didn't think about programming at all, and I felt completely
        relaxed. Many times this ended up, throwing a week of written code and
        replacing it with a 1 hour implementetion, which was better. It seems that
        relaxation, can generate ideas, which generate motivation which seems to
        be one of the most important factors when doing something.

        I do believe that agile methodologies are succesful, by encouraging
        motivation. One huge difference as a programmer working with traditional
        processes and agile processes, was the way I felt in the morning coming to
        work, and when work was finished going home. If , as someone said we spend
        8 hours working, another 8 hours awake and 8 hours sleeping, working means
        half of our life. We should live it happy.

        Dan Bunea
        http://danbunea.blogspot.com

        PS: I hope I don't sound as if I come from a sect :)

        --
      • Paul Oldfield
        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 1, 2006
          (responding to Stefan)

          >> "Join in, we'll get round to your topic but help us with
          >> this" etc.)
          >
          > You know, this last one actually had a nice side effect
          > in a client's office. Inviting the "normal" people to
          > join and help or at least give their opinion before
          > delivering yet another task on my desk made them aware
          > of how hard it can be to model the company's workflows into
          > software, how much details need to be taken into
          > consideration.
          >
          > Respect increased, interruptions decreased and occur
          > nowadays mostly in the hour around the lunch break.

          I also noted how often a solution became obvious when one
          needed to explain a problem clearly to someone new.
          Yet it can be surprising how often the people can have
          something useful to contribute, should they choose to.

          Paul Oldfield
        • Cory Foy
          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 25, 2006
            Ron Jeffries wrote:
            > Flow is an interesting state. As far as I know these kinds of things
            > have not been addressed in studies:
            >
            > What happens when two people work together? Is it still flow, or
            > is it something else?

            (Sorry for the late response!)

            An interesting thing I've noticed lately is that when I don't have a
            pair, I'm digging for my headphones so that I can focus on the code. I'm
            more likely to go into a heads-down mode. And we've noticed that on our
            team our velocity /increases/ when only one of us is there.

            So, I think that the Flow a pair is in is much different than the flow I
            would be in working individually. Perhaps like Luge versus Kayaking -
            you'll get down a lot faster, but you might miss out on lots of
            interesting things along the way.

            --
            Cory Foy
            http://www.cornetdesign.com