Re: [XP] Re: Like Garlic for Vampires

    Message 1 of 25 , Jun 1, 2006
      Interesting ... evocative ... not far off, I'd guess. Thanks!

      Hold on to your dream. --ELO

      On Thursday, June 1, 2006, at 6:03:06 AM, Philip Doherty wrote:

      > I didn't even count the time spent on the interruption just the
      > time taken to get back into flow.

      > So, It was the number of interruptions multiplied by the stated
      > 15 mins to get back into flow which gives
      > the time. I multiplied this by the charge out rate per day which
      > is approx 3 times the salary per day.

      > A lot of calls were only re-directing to someone else, i.e.
      > complete waste of our time and the callers time.
      > It was surprising how many times these calls happened. Of course
      > some times the calls were useful and
      > necessary so after looking at the detail recorded by each person
      > on their interruption log I decided that
      > around half the calls were unavoidable. So I calculated the
      > figure on trying to reduce the interruptions to
      > half.

      > If you think you answer 4 calls a day during work you are
      > immersed in then its 4 x 15 mins (Dimarco) that's
      > an hour a day.

      > 356 days a year - 104 (weekends) - 35 (holidays) = 222 working days

      > So one hour a day x 222 days = 222 hours

      > 222 * hourly rate = Cost

      > Work out the percentage of calls you find to be not useful (in my
      > case 50%) and that's how I came up with my
      > figure of 10,000 per year. (we had more than 4 calls a day)

      > 1) The assumptions I made were that the person was in flow at the
      > time of interruption. 2) The saved time
      > would be spent on chargeable work.
    • Stefan Schmiedl
      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 1, 2006
        PaulOldfield1@... (31.05. 07:05):

        > > Do others notice this effect? And do people have specific tricks to
        > > fend off productivity-sapping interruptions?

        > "Join in, we'll get round to your topic but help us with
        > this" etc.)

        You know, this last one actually had a nice side effect in a client's
        office. Inviting the "normal" people to join and help or at least give
        their opinion before delivering yet another task on my desk made them
        aware of how hard it can be to model the company's workflows into
        software, how much details need to be taken into consideration.

        Respect increased, interruptions decreased and occur nowadays mostly
        in the hour around the lunch break.

        s.
        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 1, 2006
          On Thursday, June 1, 2006, at 4:28:50 AM, Dan Bunea wrote:

          >> Yes ... another thing that happens in "Flow" is that one may be
          >> concentrating well, but not being productive. We've all had that
          >> sensation of finally giving up on something we've been at for hours,
          >> and then realizing the problem before we get halfway home.
          >>
          >> Flow is good, but it's not everything.

          > a great answer, as always. I wonder why people tend to have too simple
          > answers, for very complex problems: "if I work/concentrate more, I will be
          > more productive" is one of these. Possibly, people see a problem: "I
          > didn't finish on time", find the cause: "because there was noise, and I
          > couldn't focus", then apply negation and think that they have found the
          > solution: "if I focus more I will be more productive". Unfortunately,
          > answers about such a complex problem as productivity and efficiency, are
          > complex themselves and cannot be simplified beyond a certain limit. After
          > all Einstein said that things thoud be made as simple as possible, but not
          > simpler.

          Yes. I don't want to go all Zen, but I'm sure I'm more productive
          when I'm relaxed. I need to be working, but once I sit down to do
          the work, the more calm and cool I am, the better it goes. I am
          concentrating, focused ... mindful, perhaps ... but not
          concentrating or working "hard".

          The times when I don't like to be interrupted are times when my
          computer is broken and I'm trying to figure out what to do about it,
          and even that is probably more because I'm tense and angry than
          because the concentration has any real value.

          This is how I develop software.
          Take the parts that make sense to you.
          Ignore the rest.
        • Dan Bunea
          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 1, 2006
            I can see your point very well. Some of the best ideas I had, regarding
            how to solve a problem, happened in weekends, holidays, walking home from
            work, where I didn't think about programming at all, and I felt completely
            relaxed. Many times this ended up, throwing a week of written code and
            replacing it with a 1 hour implementetion, which was better. It seems that
            relaxation, can generate ideas, which generate motivation which seems to
            be one of the most important factors when doing something.

            I do believe that agile methodologies are succesful, by encouraging
            motivation. One huge difference as a programmer working with traditional
            processes and agile processes, was the way I felt in the morning coming to
            work, and when work was finished going home. If , as someone said we spend
            8 hours working, another 8 hours awake and 8 hours sleeping, working means
            half of our life. We should live it happy.

            Dan Bunea
            http://danbunea.blogspot.com

            PS: I hope I don't sound as if I come from a sect :)

            --
          • Paul Oldfield
            Message 5 of 25 , Jun 1, 2006
              (responding to Stefan)

              >> "Join in, we'll get round to your topic but help us with
              >> this" etc.)
              >
              > You know, this last one actually had a nice side effect
              > in a client's office. Inviting the "normal" people to
              > join and help or at least give their opinion before
              > delivering yet another task on my desk made them aware
              > of how hard it can be to model the company's workflows into
              > software, how much details need to be taken into
              > consideration.
              >
              > Respect increased, interruptions decreased and occur
              > nowadays mostly in the hour around the lunch break.

              I also noted how often a solution became obvious when one
              needed to explain a problem clearly to someone new.
              Yet it can be surprising how often the people can have
              something useful to contribute, should they choose to.

              Paul Oldfield
            • Cory Foy
              Message 6 of 25 , Jun 25, 2006
                Ron Jeffries wrote:
                > Flow is an interesting state. As far as I know these kinds of things
                > have not been addressed in studies:
                >
                > What happens when two people work together? Is it still flow, or
                > is it something else?

                (Sorry for the late response!)

                An interesting thing I've noticed lately is that when I don't have a
                pair, I'm digging for my headphones so that I can focus on the code. I'm
                more likely to go into a heads-down mode. And we've noticed that on our
                team our velocity /increases/ when only one of us is there.

                So, I think that the Flow a pair is in is much different than the flow I
                would be in working individually. Perhaps like Luge versus Kayaking -
                you'll get down a lot faster, but you might miss out on lots of
                interesting things along the way.

                --
                Cory Foy
                http://www.cornetdesign.com