Re: [XP] Community of Practice in Charlotte, NC area?

  • Julio Santos
    Message 1 of 21 , May 1, 2006

      On 5/1/06, Joseph Little <jhlittle@...> wrote:
      > Thanks!
      >
      > I take it that you are not in NC. Correct?

      Nope, other coast. I find meetup.com fairly active over here, maybe it
      will work for you too. Good luck though.

      --
      Julio
    • Kent Beck
      Message 2 of 21 , May 2, 2006
        I began using the phrase "Responsible Development" on a recent tour of
        workshops and I really like it. I find it helpful to ask myself, "What would
        be the responsible thing to do now?" As an adjective, "responsible" doesn't
        have any of the zip and zing of "extreme", but I've grown leery of the kind
        of attention attracted by zippy and zingy words.

        Sincerely yours,

        Kent Beck
        Three Rivers Institute

      • Dave Churchville
        Message 3 of 21 , May 2, 2006
          --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Kent Beck" <kentb@...> wrote:

          > I began using the phrase "Responsible Development" on a recent tour of
          > workshops and I really like it. I find it helpful to ask myself,
          "What would
          > be the responsible thing to do now?" As an adjective, "responsible"
          doesn't
          > have any of the zip and zing of "extreme", but I've grown leery of
          the kind
          > of attention attracted by zippy and zingy words.

          Sounds like there's a story there (or maybe several hundred) ...

          A marketer would say that your phrase has to be something both
          memorable and that communciates your positioning. XP, for better or
          worse, sounds like something revolutionary that is way on the edge of
          the mainstream. And that's exactly the impression that I've had to
          debunk continuously.

          Maybe a better phrase would have been "Business-Focused Development"
          or BFD (hmmm...that acronym is already being used). Or maybe
          "Adaptive Programming" (AP). I don't think Microsoft is using any of
          those as a product name, anyway ;-)

          --Dave
          http://www.extremeplanner.com/blog
        • Jim Hughes
          Message 4 of 21 , May 2, 2006
            Feedback seems to be at the core of so much of XP, I like Feedback
            Driven Development.

            Jim

          • yahoogroups@jhrothjr.com
            Message 5 of 21 , May 2, 2006
              I love it. Trademark it, please.

              John Roth

              >I began using the phrase "Responsible Development" on a recent tour of
              > workshops and I really like it. I find it helpful to ask myself, "What
              > would
              > be the responsible thing to do now?" As an adjective, "responsible"
              > doesn't
              > have any of the zip and zing of "extreme", but I've grown leery of the
              > kind
              > of attention attracted by zippy and zingy words.
              >
              > Sincerely yours,
              >
              > Kent Beck
              > Three Rivers Institute

            • Chris Hulan
              Message 6 of 21 , May 3, 2006
                Message 7 of 21 , May 3, 2006
                  > Feedback seems to be at the core of so much of XP, I like Feedback
                  > Driven Development.

                  Unfortunately, the acronym, FDD, is already taken by
                  Feature Driven Development.

                  John Roth

                  > Jim

                • SherlockSridhar
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 3, 2006
                    On Wed, 3 May 2006 10:45:57 -0600, yahoogroups@... said:
                    > Unfortunately, the acronym, FDD, is already taken by
                    > Feature Driven Development.
                    >
                    > John Roth

                    <attempted humor>

                    What about 127.0.0.1-DD or LBDD, in honor of the loopback IP address?

                    </attempted humor>

                    Regards
                    Sherlocksridhar
                    Regards
                    Sridhar
                    sherlocksridhar@...
                    Sherlocksridhar.blogspot.com
                    -----------------------------
                    "A lot of preconceptions can be avoided by simply trying them out" - Bruce Eckel

                  • Jim Shore
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 3, 2006
                      Cory Foy wrote:
                      > I was talking to a reporter about outsourcing and offshoring last week,
                      > and comparing and contrasting XP, including why communication is so
                      > important.
                      >
                      > I found myself not being able to continue calling it Extreme Programming
                      > because she was getting quite obviously skeptical of the whole shebang.

                      I've gotten crotchety. I've come to believe that if someone feels
                      threatened by me, they'll find any reason to dislike what I say, no
                      matter how I say it. On the other hand, if they trust me, they're
                      willing to overlook all kinds of weird terminology.

                      So I call it "Extreme Programming" and observe reactions.

                      (When I'm introducing the whole set of XP practices. Otherwise, it's
                      "agile.")

                      Cheers,
                      Jim

                      --
                      James Shore -- Titanium IT -- Successful Software
                      Recipient of 2005 Gordon Pask award for

                      phone: 503-267-5490
                      email: jshore@...
                      web/blog: http://www.jamesshore.com