Re: [XP] Book Review: Pragmatic Ajax

  • Phlip
    Message 1 of 24 , May 1, 2006
      Forrest Chang wrote:

      > For the last question, are you asking for a navigation into offending
      > code? You can navigate to the part that didn't pass in the test the
      > way it is, and I've thought about writing something that goes through
      > the ROR stack traces to hit that.

      Kent Beck calls that topic "test faults are syntax errors". That means
      _all_ errors, whatever their source, should appear in the same list in
      your editor, and you should hit <F4> or similar to optionally navigate
      to them.

      Once when I pushed for a system like that, my colleagues using Vim
      demonstrated that it was impossible, because Vim indeed had an option
      to jump to the first syntax error. But its problem was it _always_
      jumped; you couldn't just opt to jump. Under TDD, 5!% of the time when
      a test fails your cursor should already be near the cause.

      --
      Phlip
      http://www.greencheese.us/ZeekLand <-- NOT a blog!!
      Message 2 of 24 , May 1, 2006
        Phlip wrote:

        >Forrest Chang wrote:
        >

        >>For the last question, are you asking for a navigation into offending
        >>code? You can navigate to the part that didn't pass in the test the
        >>way it is, and I've thought about writing something that goes through
        >>the ROR stack traces to hit that.
        >>

        >Kent Beck calls that topic "test faults are syntax errors". That means
        >_all_ errors, whatever their source, should appear in the same list in
        >your editor, and you should hit <F4> or similar to optionally navigate
        >to them.

        Quite hard with JavaScript because your tests run in a different
        environment (browsers) for your editor. The browser my even be on a
        different box when testing in multiple environments.

        >Once when I pushed for a system like that, my colleagues using Vim
        >demonstrated that it was impossible, because Vim indeed had an option
        >to jump to the first syntax error. But its problem was it _always_
        >jumped; you couldn't just opt to jump. Under TDD, 5!% of the time when
        >a test fails your cursor should already be near the cause.

        Not being able to link form the editor is a good way to force small
        changes and frequent test runs.

        Ian.