RE: [XP] when team members are not in same location

  • Kent Beck
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 24 9:13 AM
      Dear Rob,

      It is possible to work XP-style with a distributed team. I use the
      principles of XP all the time in my distributed projects (I program from
      home in southern Oregon and there are not many local employment options). I
      use most of the practices, including 10-15 hours/week of remote pairing.

      One technique that seems to make a big difference for me is having regularly
      scheduled times for working together (I work on different projects on
      different days). Knowing I'm going to be meeting with a team on Wednesday at
      7 encourages me to take care of my tasks between now and then. I also find
      video to be extremely valuable--I really miss it when I don't have it.

      For infrastructure I use Skype or NetMeeting for video/audio and VNC or
      NetOp for screen sharing. I would like to try two monitors, one for the
      shared screen and one for video, since the two tend to interfere with each
      other.

      The biggest challenge for me is building and maintaining relationships
      long-distance. Projects work better with people I already know. If I don't
      already know the team members, I make an effort to get to know them.

      I think sitting together in one big room is better, all other things being
      equal. However, all other things are seldom equal. In my case, I want to
      live in paradise and no one else seems to want to (although, if you all did,
      it wouldn't be paradise any more). Working together remotely is much better
      than not working together at all.

      Sincerely yours,

      Kent Beck
      Three Rivers Institute

    • Davide Varvello
      Message 2 of 4 , May 3, 2006
        Dear Kent,

        > Dear Rob,
        >
        > It is possible to work XP-style with a distributed team. I use the
        > principles of XP all the time in my distributed projects (I program
        > from
        > home in southern Oregon and there are not many local employment
        > options). I
        > use most of the practices, including 10-15 hours/week of remote
        > pairing.
        >
        > One technique that seems to make a big difference for me is having
        > regularly
        > scheduled times for working together (I work on different projects on
        > different days). Knowing I'm going to be meeting with a team on
        > Wednesday at
        > 7 encourages me to take care of my tasks between now and then. I
        > also find
        > video to be extremely valuable--I really miss it when I don't have it.
        >
        > For infrastructure I use Skype or NetMeeting for video/audio and
        > VNC or
        > NetOp for screen sharing. I would like to try two monitors, one for
        > the
        > shared screen and one for video, since the two tend to interfere
        > with each
        > other.

        Really, Kent, when I work remotely, I use Skype and NetOp (it's
        faster than vnc). I split the screen a half on my display and a half
        on a tv via an s-video cable and I put video on tv, this solution is
        rather good.
        At the office there are two PCs one with NetOp server and one with
        Skype. So desktop sharing tool and video are unrelated, I've not the
        annoying issue of a shared video and the internet traffic is smaller.

        bye,
        Davide