when team members are not in same location

  • rboellaard
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 18, 2006
      Hi everybody,

      My first post here :-) In the past I have worked on projects where we tried to do it the
      xp-way, which came down to adopting XP-practices, but not following through 100%, let's
      say the dials were on 50-60 %

      Now I am working for a company where the team-members or not located in the same
      office, or city ... not even the same country.

      I was wondering to which degree it is possible to use XP, eventhough we are not meeting
      one of the most important requirements: being in the same room.

      Looking on the web, the only thing that comes close is "distributed extreme
      programming"
      (http://www.kircher-schwanninger.de/michael/publications/xp2001.pdf) and Agile-and-
      something.
      Also on this mailing list I found a thread "Distributed XP" unfortunately I couldn't find the
      start of this thread.

      My question is, could you please point me to more resources on this subject, or well,
      actually any info on using XP for "distributed teams" is very welcome.

      thanks a lot,

      Rob
    • Keith Braithwaite
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 19, 2006
        Hi Rob.

        --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "rboellaard" <rboell@...>
        wrote:
        > In the past I have worked on projects where we tried to do it the
        > xp-way, which came down to adopting XP-practices, but not following
        through 100%, let's
        > say the dials were on 50-60 %
        I'll leave it to Ron to comment on how firm a basis for moving towards
        distributed XP this is.

        > Now I am working for a company where the team-members or not
        located in the same
        > office, or city ... not even the same country.
        How far apart? Do you have timezone issues as well as distance ones?

        > I was wondering to which degree it is possible to use XP,
        eventhough we are not meeting
        > one of the most important requirements: being in the same room.
        Well, you can do pretty much all the practices to one degree or another.

        > Also on this mailing list I found a thread "Distributed XP"
        unfortunately I couldn't find the
        > start of this thread.
        You might find this interface to the list helpful
        http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.extreme-programming

        > My question is, could you please point me to more resources on
        this subject, or well,
        > actually any info on using XP for "distributed teams" is very welcome.

        I've coauthored two papers on the subject, they and their
        bibliographies (which were pretty much a survey of the state of the
        distibuted XP art at the time of writing) may be found at
        http://www.keithbraithwaite.demon.co.uk/professional/papers/index.html

        There are also some other materials (conference sesison slides and
        such) elsewhere on my site describing how we set up distributed XP at WDS.

        Could you please tell us a little more about what your employer hopes
        to achieve by spreading people around, and what you hope to achieve by
        using XP practices in that setting?

        Keith
      • Kent Beck
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 24, 2006
          Dear Rob,

          It is possible to work XP-style with a distributed team. I use the
          principles of XP all the time in my distributed projects (I program from
          home in southern Oregon and there are not many local employment options). I
          use most of the practices, including 10-15 hours/week of remote pairing.

          One technique that seems to make a big difference for me is having regularly
          scheduled times for working together (I work on different projects on
          different days). Knowing I'm going to be meeting with a team on Wednesday at
          7 encourages me to take care of my tasks between now and then. I also find
          video to be extremely valuable--I really miss it when I don't have it.

          For infrastructure I use Skype or NetMeeting for video/audio and VNC or
          NetOp for screen sharing. I would like to try two monitors, one for the
          shared screen and one for video, since the two tend to interfere with each
          other.

          The biggest challenge for me is building and maintaining relationships
          long-distance. Projects work better with people I already know. If I don't
          already know the team members, I make an effort to get to know them.

          I think sitting together in one big room is better, all other things being
          equal. However, all other things are seldom equal. In my case, I want to
          live in paradise and no one else seems to want to (although, if you all did,
          it wouldn't be paradise any more). Working together remotely is much better
          than not working together at all.

          Sincerely yours,

          Kent Beck
          Three Rivers Institute

        • Davide Varvello
          Message 4 of 4 , May 3, 2006
            Dear Kent,

            > Dear Rob,
            >
            > It is possible to work XP-style with a distributed team. I use the
            > principles of XP all the time in my distributed projects (I program
            > from
            > home in southern Oregon and there are not many local employment
            > options). I
            > use most of the practices, including 10-15 hours/week of remote
            > pairing.
            >
            > One technique that seems to make a big difference for me is having
            > regularly
            > scheduled times for working together (I work on different projects on
            > different days). Knowing I'm going to be meeting with a team on
            > Wednesday at
            > 7 encourages me to take care of my tasks between now and then. I
            > also find
            > video to be extremely valuable--I really miss it when I don't have it.
            >
            > For infrastructure I use Skype or NetMeeting for video/audio and
            > VNC or
            > NetOp for screen sharing. I would like to try two monitors, one for
            > the
            > shared screen and one for video, since the two tend to interfere
            > with each
            > other.

            Really, Kent, when I work remotely, I use Skype and NetOp (it's
            faster than vnc). I split the screen a half on my display and a half
            on a tv via an s-video cable and I put video on tv, this solution is
            rather good.
            At the office there are two PCs one with NetOp server and one with
            Skype. So desktop sharing tool and video are unrelated, I've not the
            annoying issue of a shared video and the internet traffic is smaller.

            bye,
            Davide