Re: [XP] metaphor for what software development is like

    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 5, 2006
      On Tuesday, April 4, 2006, at 11:27:02 PM, aacockburn wrote:

      > I had never thought about the cooperative game being like an RPG - I
      > don't play enough RPGs (my kids do - I'll ask them). However, I would
      > see an RPG being an instance of a cooperative game, not the other way
      > around.

      > I'll have to noodle about whether it is useful to treat software
      > development as a role-playing game --- does anyone here see it?

      Hi Alistair ...

      Many RPGs are competitive rather than cooperative. I agree with
      another poster that the terms are not on the same dimension.

      There are some cooperative RPGs.

      My initial reaction to the notion is that I could imagine creating a
      cooperative RPG to teach software development ideas in the Agile (or
      any other) style ... but that software development, while it
      probably does have a few roles, is more like a COOPERATIVE (role
      playing) GAME, than something with all the characters in the same
      size and font.

      One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.
      -- Bill Nye (The Science Guy)