Re: [XP] Proposed Standard Definitions

  • Keith Ray
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4 9:21 AM
      "Religious" frames occur to some people to explain stuff someone is
      saying that doesn't their frame / view of the world. It offers a
      simplistic explanation for a otherwise troublesome fact.

      Mac users are called "fanatics" (and some of them who shave the Apple
      logo in their hair, or get Apple logos tattoos are fanatics), but many
      of them just want a system that let's them work efficiently, and the
      Mac does that for them.

      George Lakoff <http://www.georgelakoff.com/books/> explains that any
      fact that doesn't fit into our frames tends to slide right out of our
      head. Only a few unusual people will re-examine the facts and their
      frames.

      An example is the explanation of seasons -- many college graduates
      will say that it has to do with the elliptical orbit of the earth
      around the sun, conveniently forgetting that when the northern
      hemisphere has winter, the southern has summer. Remind them of that
      fact, and MAYBE they're remember axial tilt and the angle of sunlight
      on the earth's surface. But "closer to the sun" is a "more simple"
      explanation and that's the one they keep in their heads.

      --

      C. Keith Ray