[extremeprogramming] Re: only code what you need today - rubbish !

  • Michael C. Feathers
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 1, 2000
      From: <cbrooksbank@...>
      > If you always write the simplist ( and the most specific ) solution to
      your
      > current immediate requirement you will generate problems.
      > The next guy that comes along with a slightly different problem will
      write his
      > own specific class. It would take longer to work back looking for a
      way
      > to generlalise the solution at a higher class level. With lots of
      programmers
      > you get lots of classes over time, likely some bits will be cut and
      paste
      > from other classes. When a bug is fixed or implementation improved its
      only
      > fixed in some of these bits of code. A new maintenance programmer has
      lots of
      > bits
      > of code to work with instead of just one. Some will be subtly
      different with
      > their own bugs. Your best coders will hate you for making them produce
      inelegant
      > designs
      > and leave for other companys. Tell me Im wrong ( Im sure you will ) .
      . .

      Sure, if you only write the simplest solution to your
      immediate requirement -- and that is all that you do,
      you will end up in trouble.

      Don't do that.

      On the other hand, if you write the simplest thing,
      and are constantly removing duplicate code, you
      will end up with a simple elegant
      system that is tuned to the problems it solves.

      Will it take longer to work back looking for a
      way to generalize something? I don't think so.
      Generalizing is easy. Too easy. The hard part
      is coming up with generalizations which
      survive application changes well. Until you
      confront the changes, they are hypothetical.

      A good rule of thumb is to never generalize
      something unless it makes things simpler.
      This generally means that you are removing
      duplication, or separating things so that each
      can be understood easier.

      Michael

      Michael Feathers mfeathers@...
      Object Mentor Inc. www.objectmentor.com
      Training/Mentoring/Development
      "You think you know when you can learn, are more sure when
      you can write, even more when you can teach, but certain when
      you can program. " - Alan Perlis
    • Zhon Johansen
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 1, 2000
        This message is an example of how one XP practice in isolation can and probably should
        be attacked. XP is a tightly knit collection of Values and Practices.

        Your question assumes you don't do
        *refactoring* to keep the design elegant, which means you probably don't have
        *unit tests* to catch mistakes. You are probably not
        *pair programming* to give you confidence. You are also probably missing an
        *onsite customer* telling you the business requirements and that missing customer
        is probably not writing
        *functional tests* so you can know when you are finished...

        HTH,

        Zhon

        PS shamelessly stolen from and earlier post of Rons, thanks Ron

      • cbrooksbank@citynetworks.co.uk
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 1, 2000
          Zhon,

          Your comment makes a lot of sense. I will go back and read the rest of the
          principles of XP ( which I have only just come across ).

          I guess XP assumes code gets qa'd by developers other than the author at
          regular intervals to get around cut-and-paste code and to check that
          assumptions made at time code was written still apply.

          Zhon Johansen <zhon@...> on 01/02/2000 17:16:44

          Please respond to extremeprogramming@egroups.com

          To: extremeprogramming@egroups.com
          cc: (bcc: Chris Brooksbank/London/CityNetworks)

          Subject: [extremeprogramming] Re: only code what you need today - rubbish !

          cbrooksbank@... wrote:

          > If you always write the simplist ( and the most specific ) solution to your
          > current immediate requirement you will generate problems.
          > The next guy that comes along with a slightly different problem will write his
          > own specific class. It would take longer to work back looking for a way
          > to generlalise the solution at a higher class level. With lots of programmers
          > you get lots of classes over time, likely some bits will be cut and paste
          > from other classes. When a bug is fixed or implementation improved its only
          > fixed in some of these bits of code. A new maintenance programmer has lots of
          > bits
          > of code to work with instead of just one. Some will be subtly different with
          > their own bugs. Your best coders will hate you for making them produce
          inelegant
          > designs
          > and leave for other companys. Tell me Im wrong ( Im sure you will ) . . .

          > credit you deserve! Apply now! Get your NextCard Visa at:

          > -- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=extremeprogramming&m=1

          GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates
          as low as 0.0% Intro APR and no hidden fees.
          Apply NOW!
          http://click.egroups.com/1/967/0/_/263270/_/949425417/

          -- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=extremeprogramming&m=1
        • Robert C. Martin
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 1, 2000

            Not for today. The problems *may* come tomorrow. If on the other hand
            you try to anticipate tomorrows problems and protect yourself from them,
            you:

            1) make the software bigger and more complex than it needs to be right
            now.

            2) will guess wrong part of the time and force the next guy to undo, or
            work around, what you did.

            3) will spend a lot of time worrying about things that may never happen.

            BTW, XP doesn't recommend that you DO the simplest thing that could
            work. XP recommends that you consider WHAT the simplest thing that
            could possible work might be, and then extrapolate from there. Assume
            simplicity first.

            > The next guy that comes along with a slightly different
            > problem will write his
            > own specific class. It would take longer to work back looking
            > for a way
            > to generlalise the solution at a higher class level.

            It might indeed take longer. But the rules of XP force you to do it
            anyway. XP does not allow duplicate code in any form. Thus, when you
            find duplication, you must abstract it out.

            > With
            > lots of programmers
            > you get lots of classes over time, likely some bits will be
            > cut and paste
            > from other classes.

            Cut and paste is not allowed in XP because it is a form of duplication.
            The duplication must be factored out. We find that this makes us go
            faster in the long run.

            > When a bug is fixed or implementation
            > improved its only
            > fixed in some of these bits of code.

            Shouldn't happen in XP.

            > A new maintenance
            > programmer has lots of
            > bits
            > of code to work with instead of just one. Some will be subtly
            > different with
            > their own bugs. Your best coders will hate you for making
            > them produce inelegant
            > designs
            > and leave for other companys. Tell me Im wrong ( Im sure you
            > will ) . . .

            You aren't wrong. You just misunderstand XP. XP recommend that you do
            *exactly* what you recommend; with one exception. In XP we build the
            abstractions as soon as there is any duplication. Not when we suspect
            that there *might* be duplication. The rule in XP is "The second use
            pays for generality."

            Robert C. Martin | "Uncle Bob" | Training Courses:
            Object Mentor Inc. | rmartin@... | OOD, Patterns, C++,
            Java,
            PO Box 85 | Tel: (800) 338-6716 | Extreme Programming.
            Grayslake IL 60030 | Fax: (847) 548-6853 |
            http://www.objectmentor.com

          • Michael C. Feathers
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 1, 2000
              Nick,

              This is where things get dangerous in mailing
              lists. Below the last edit, I said that you end up in
              trouble if you don't surround 'doing the simplest
              thing with other practices.' The net result of a lot
              of little locally advantageous changes is a big
              ball of mud, if you don't refactoring and simplify
              along the way.

              "Simple" works at two levels: simple changes to
              add the functionality that you need and
              "simple" overall design. You maintain the
              latter by refactoring.

              So, being clearer. The answer is, yes, do the
              simplest thing. But do the other practices as
              well, especially the testing and refactoring,
              so that you do not end up with the cruft that
              the original poster mentioned.

              Regarding the other question, you code
              what you need for each test that you have
              to run to get the functionality that your
              customer needs for this iteration.

              Michael

              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 1, 2000
                zhon johansen <zho-@...> wrote:
                original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/extremeprogramming/?start
                =1178
                > This message is an example of how one XP practice in isolation can
                and probably should
                > be attacked. XP is a tightly knit collection of Values and Practices.
                >
                > Your question assumes you don't do
                > *refactoring* to keep the design elegant, which means you
                probably don't have
                > *unit tests* to catch mistakes. You are probably not
                > *pair programming* to give you confidence. You are also probably
                missing an
                > *onsite customer* telling you the business requirements and that
                missing customer
                > is probably not writing
                > *functional tests* so you can know when you are finished...
                >
                > HTH,
                >
                > Zhon

                One more important factor in this problem is communication. If there
                was good communication, developer B would talk to developer A and find
                out that there is something that could be refactored into what he needs.
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 1, 2000
                  At 12:17 PM 2/1/2000 -0600, you wrote:
                  >BTW, XP doesn't recommend that you DO the simplest thing that could
                  >work. XP recommends that you consider WHAT the simplest thing that
                  >could possible work might be, and then extrapolate from there. Assume
                  >simplicity first.

                  As I read the text and walk the walk, it means exactly that: DO the
                  simplest thing that could possibly work. See, for example:

                  p 38: Treat every problem as if it can be solved with ridiculous simplicity.

                  p 103: The design strategy in XP is to always have the simplest design that
                  runs the current test suite.

                  p 104: We should assume that the simplest design we can imagine possibly
                  working will work. This will give us time to do a thorough job in case the
                  simples design doesn't work.

                  Of course, one often falls short of the goal of always doing the simplest
                  thing that could possibly work. Sometimes fear is just too much. Sometimes
                  we don't think of the simplest thing until later. Then the rules of code
                  simplicity encourage us to reduce the system back to where it belongs.

                  Regards,

                  Ron Jeffries
                  Extreme Programming Training and Consultation
                  www.XProgramming.com
                • Joshua Kerievsky
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 1, 2000
                    Robert Martin writes
                    >>BTW, XP doesn't recommend that you DO the simplest thing that could
                    >>work. XP recommends that you consider WHAT the simplest thing that
                    >>could possible work might be, and then extrapolate from there. Assume
                    >>simplicity first.

                    Ron Jeffries responds:
                    >As I read the text and walk the walk, it means exactly that: DO the
                    >simplest thing that could possibly work.

                    Wiki has had a page called DoTheSimplestThingThatCouldPossiblyWork for well
                    over a year now, and the expression has certainly made its way into the
                    culture. However, Kent recently wrote in an email thread I exchanged with him:
                    ----
                    Note that I never said "do the simplest thing that could possibly work".
                    That would be stupid. I try to get people to think in terms of simplicity,
                    hence the phrasing "what is the simplest..." It's a mantra.
                    ----

                    I personally like the question better than the statement. The question is
                    an invitation to think - it might lead to a 10 minute round-table on just
                    what is the simplest thing. The statement form (Do The...) may not invite
                    enough reflection.

                    -jk

                    regards
                    jk

                    _______________________________
                    Industrial Logic, Inc.
                    Joshua Kerievsky, founder
                    mailto:joshua@...
                    http://industriallogic.com
                    415-292-6266
                    415-292-6267 (fax)
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 1, 2000
                      I could be mistaken, but I'm sure Kent did tell the C3 team exactly that.
                      Of course a lot of what we told them has been refined. Kent is usually more
                      extreme than I am, but in my simple way I've just been doing what he told
                      me and I've never gone wrong yet with the simplest thing "that could
                      possibly work".

                      I can't help thinking, so I don't worry about accidentally forgetting to do
                      so. Perhaps I should. What were we talking about?

                      Oh, yeah, simplicity. Certainly it is a mantra. But when you do it, it
                      seems to work. Kent should try it ... ;->

                      Ron

                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 1, 2000
                        From: Joshua Kerievsky <joshua@...>
                        > Wiki has had a page called DoTheSimplestThingThatCouldPossiblyWork for
                        well
                        > over a year now, and the expression has certainly made its way into
                        the
                        > culture. However, Kent recently wrote in an email thread I exchanged
                        with him:
                        > ----
                        > Note that I never said "do the simplest thing that could possibly
                        work".
                        > That would be stupid. I try to get people to think in terms of
                        simplicity,
                        > hence the phrasing "what is the simplest..." It's a mantra.
                        > ----

                        I like how Chet Hedrickson of the C3 team put it on Wiki:
                        "The rule is, 'Do the simplest thing that could possibly
                        work', not the most stupid."

                        Whenever I can draw the distinction between the simplicity
                        and stupidity, I make the effort and shoot for the former.

                        Michael

                        Michael Feathers mfeathers@...
                        Object Mentor Inc. www.objectmentor.com
                        Training/Mentoring/Development
                        "You think you know when you can learn, are more sure when
                        you can write, even more when you can teach, but certain when
                        you can program. " - Alan Perlis
                      • Phlip
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 1, 2000
                          From: <cbrooksbank@...>

                          > If you always write the simplist ( and the most specific ) solution to
                          your
                          > current immediate requirement you will generate problems.

                          If you only type just enough to change the code the tiniest amount to
                          satisfy one requirement, you'l produce bad code.

                          If you also apply OnceAndOnlyOnce and UnitTestFirst (the supporting
                          practices for DTSTTCPW and YAGNI), you can always try to leave the code
                          (and the UnitTests) in their simplest, cleanest state.

                          If you apply any of the 12 canonical XP processes extremely but in
                          isolation from the others you'l get a bad result. Kent's book XPE covers
                          this fully.

                          > The next guy that comes along with a slightly different problem will
                          write his
                          > own specific class.

                          Nope. He'd have broken OAOO. Sacrifice him to an XP principle at their
                          next love fest.

                          Phlip
                        • William Rutiser
                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 1, 2000
                            Some well known aircraft designer once said "Simplificate and add
                            lightness". This is one of those things that is easier to say than do.

                            Changes that restrict or constrain future change are less simple in
                            their effects than changes that don't.

                            Bill Rutiser
                            wru@...
                          • Chris Berry
                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 1, 2000
                              Greetings,

                              A buddy of mine just turned me on to an amazing tool for refactoring Java
                              code. It is called Woodenchair (www.woodenchair.com). It allows you to
                              Repackage Mercilessly. It catches *everything*, including even the JavaDocs.
                              And works flawlessly. We just took our semi-large code base (~500 classes)
                              and did a massive restructuring of it (including moving packages, files into
                              different packages, new levels in the hierarchy, etc.) It took about 10
                              minutes. Pretty cool. (I suppose y'all already knew all about it, but just
                              in case... )

                              Cheers,
                              --Chris

                              (And no, I don't have any affiliation w/ Woodenchair ;-)
                            • Phil Goodwin
                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 1, 2000
                                "Michael C. Feathers" wrote:

> [...]

                                Okay, sure. But what does 'simple' mean anyway? Ron once said to use LOC
                                as a metric for simplicity. Is that it? Is it the fewest number of
                                methods? Classes? Function points? Is it the simplest to code? To
                                invent? To explain? Does simple mean fast? To me globals are about the
                                simplest scoping and lifetime management strategy, gotos are the
                                simplest control structure and arrays are the simplest collections. It
                                always seems simpler to grow an existing class than to build a new one.
                                So many "simple" things turn out to be headaches later.

                                What I personally have done, with some success, is to START with the
                                simplest thing that could possibly work and use "what seems easiest to
                                program" as my definition of "simple". This is an application of "make
                                it run, make it right, make it fast". After I've written it I test and
                                refactor (making things I touch "right") until it works, and then I
                                continue refactoring until the whole thing is "right". In practice this
                                means that I start out using a lot of primitive tools that are easily
                                manipulated and end up replacing them with tools that are specialized
                                for the kinds of manipulations that I actually end up doing.

                                I don't know if that's the behavior that the advice was supposed to
                                inspire or even if I actually get the final version of the code written
                                any faster. I can say, though, that it gets my relationship with the
                                code started pretty quickly which keeps my interest high and makes
                                things a little more fun.

                                --
                                Phil Goodwin, Java Software, Sun Microsystems, 408-517-6951, or x66951
                              • Chris Berry
                                Message 15 of 20 , Feb 1, 2000
                                  Greetings,

                                  I would like to suggest that the ListServe shorten the email tag it applies
                                  to email from this list. What about, say, [xp]. Then we can see more of
                                  what is important on the Subject line of our email readers.

                                  Cheers,
                                  -- Chris
                                • Michael C. Feathers
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Feb 1, 2000
                                    From: Phil Goodwin <phil.goodwin@...>
                                    > Okay, sure. But what does 'simple' mean anyway? Ron once said to use
                                    LOC
                                    > as a metric for simplicity. Is that it? Is it the fewest number of
                                    > methods? Classes? Function points? Is it the simplest to code? To
                                    > invent? To explain? Does simple mean fast? To me globals are about the
                                    > simplest scoping and lifetime management strategy, gotos are the
                                    > simplest control structure and arrays are the simplest collections. It
                                    > always seems simpler to grow an existing class than to build a new
                                    one.
                                    > So many "simple" things turn out to be headaches later.

                                    It seems that there are a lot of forces. Ideally a piece of code
                                    should be simple to understand, simple to change, and simple to
                                    code.

                                    One thing I've discovered when trying to do what Kent and
                                    Ron talk about is that good object factoring allows me to strike a
                                    balance between those three things. For instance, when you
                                    extract a class, you get to introduce a name which conveys intent
                                    a bit more. If the extraction was really warranted, two classes are
                                    easier to understand on their own and together after the extraction.
                                    Each resulting class is also closed under more changes. But
                                    isn't it easier to code the larger class? Yes, but if it costs too much
                                    on the other two prongs of simplicity, you refactor.

                                    I just think that the OO flavor of simplicity is different. Sometimes
                                    I look at some very clear procedural code and realize that it
                                    conveys intent very well, but it would fail on other two prongs
                                    of simplicity. Things like 'replace conditional with polymorphism'
                                    may not be too simple from the procedural point of view, but
                                    once changeability and dependency management are taken
                                    into account, it is a clear win. Simple designs are easily
                                    extended. I remember when I read Bob Martin's description
                                    of the Dependency Inversion Principle years ago, I realized
                                    this is why objects are different. Each interface is a point of
                                    variation. You can have a great deal of flexibility without
                                    making all sorts of "hooks."

                                    > What I personally have done, with some success, is to START with the
                                    > simplest thing that could possibly work and use "what seems easiest to
                                    > program" as my definition of "simple". This is an application of "make
                                    > it run, make it right, make it fast". After I've written it I test and
                                    > refactor (making things I touch "right") until it works, and then I
                                    > continue refactoring until the whole thing is "right". In practice
                                    this
                                    > means that I start out using a lot of primitive tools that are easily
                                    > manipulated and end up replacing them with tools that are specialized
                                    > for the kinds of manipulations that I actually end up doing.

                                    Yeah, I do that too. It is a great way to get started. I usually stick
                                    a spike in the ground.. some interface that I can test behind and
                                    then write brute force code that I can refactor into better
                                    structure as it occurs to me.

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Feb 1, 2000
                                      At 06:01 PM 2/1/00 -0500, Michael C. Feathers wrote:
> [...]

                                      My friend who is receiving XP tutoring from Don Robert says that they are
                                      literally programming the simplest thing that could possibly make the
                                      simplest of tests work. That's simplest as in simplest to program and also
                                      the simplest problem. While listening to him talk about it tonight the
                                      ambiguity of the notion of simplicity fell away. What I got was essentially
                                      that if the initial code had any chance at all of being the least bit
                                      interesting it was too complicated. All the interesting/complex stuff they
                                      were doing was coming from refactoring.

                                      >I just think that the OO flavor of simplicity is different. Sometimes
                                      >I look at some very clear procedural code and realize that it
                                      >conveys intent very well, but it would fail on other two prongs
                                      >of simplicity. Things like 'replace conditional with polymorphism'
                                      >may not be too simple from the procedural point of view, but
                                      >once changeability and dependency management are taken
                                      >into account, it is a clear win. Simple designs are easily
                                      >extended. I remember when I read Bob Martin's description
                                      >of the Dependency Inversion Principle years ago, I realized
                                      >this is why objects are different. Each interface is a point of
                                      >variation. You can have a great deal of flexibility without
                                      >making all sorts of "hooks."

                                      Flexibility and understandability are forces that are at odds with
                                      simplicity. I think that simplicity is a starting point and is used as a
                                      currency with which to buy expressiveness and flexibility. You buy
                                      expressiveness after you've got something to work and are about to leave it
                                      behind and you buy flexibility just as it's needed. At least that's my
                                      understanding for today.

                                      Phil
                                    • Kent Beck
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Feb 2, 2000
                                        Let's review the rules. In order:
                                        1. Run all the test cases
                                        2. Communicate everything you need to communicate
                                        3. No duplication
                                        4. Fewest possible classes and methods

                                        If you did something simple, it meets the rules. If the next person coming
                                        along copies some of your code into their class, it doesn't meet the rules.
                                        Don't do that.

                                        Martin tells me that my definition of "simple" isn't clear. I think perhaps
                                        the problem is that I shouldn't use the word "simple". Something like
                                        "normalized" or "factored" is better, but it doesn't capture the
                                        communication aspect.

                                        Kent
                                      • Michael C. Feathers
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Feb 2, 2000
                                          From: Phil Goodwin <pgoodwin@...>
                                          > At 06:01 PM 2/1/00 -0500, Michael C. Feathers wrote:
                                          > >I just think that the OO flavor of simplicity is different.
                                          Sometimes
                                          > >I look at some very clear procedural code and realize that it
                                          > >conveys intent very well, but it would fail on other two prongs
                                          > >of simplicity. Things like 'replace conditional with polymorphism'
                                          > >may not be too simple from the procedural point of view, but
                                          > >once changeability and dependency management are taken
                                          > >into account, it is a clear win. Simple designs are easily
                                          > >extended. I remember when I read Bob Martin's description
                                          > >of the Dependency Inversion Principle years ago, I realized
                                          > >this is why objects are different. Each interface is a point of
                                          > >variation. You can have a great deal of flexibility without
                                          > >making all sorts of "hooks."
                                          >
                                          > Flexibility and understandability are forces that are at odds with
                                          > simplicity. I think that simplicity is a starting point and is used as
                                          > currency with which to buy expressiveness and flexibility. You buy
                                          > expressiveness after you've got something to work and are about to
                                          leave it
                                          > behind and you buy flexibility just as it's needed. At least that's my
                                          > understanding for today.

                                          Yes, there are all sorts of definitions of simplicity. I like to take
                                          the broad one, because I've noticed that 'simple to understand',
                                          'simple to implement', and 'simple to change' all feed into each
                                          other when I am going on the right track. The Venn diagram
                                          has such a large intersection that I don't feel that one
                                          happens at much expense to the others. Maybe I'm not
                                          being introspective enough on this point.

                                          That said, I agree about starting with 'simple to implement.'
                                          Of the three, though, I like to shoot for 'simple to understand'
                                          because it offers the most bang for the buck.