Re: [XP] Current use of branching for XP teams?

  • Derek Inksetter
    Message 1 of 49 , Mar 2, 2006
      Dominic Williams wrote:

      >One way to manage that kind of cycle without branching
      >is:
      >
      >- not to introduce any defects (XP teams are supposed
      > to know how to achieve this);

      I hope you're kidding. I've never met an XP team that even claimed to
      do that, let alone actually achieving it.

      Seriously, though, do you have any evidence that XP is any more likely
      to produce a zero-defect system than another process? Programmers are
      still human, even when they work in pairs. It's probably safe to say
      that showstopper defects are found earlier, and /fewer /of them make it
      out the door, but...

      >- to make all user visible changes optional: e.g. a
      > preferences dialogue could require users to activate
      > new features, choose between old and modified
      > workflows, select among various graphical themes
      > (skins)...

      Our problem is that we have hundreds of customers on older versions of
      our products. You're talking about making product updates invisible to
      the user and just push new product releases to them when they find an
      issue. That's a fundamental change in how our customers perceive our
      offerings. Right now, when a customer has invested the time and money
      to purchase, install and configure our product (and train their users,
      support staff, etc.), they perceive that a version upgrade is not a
      minor thing. It probably doesn't help that we charge money for them, but
      that's another issue. In general, the perception in the packaged
      software world is that minor updates (i.e. patches, "service packs")
      will occur on old releases, even after new releases are out. For
      example, Sun just released J2SE 1.4.2_11 a few days ago, almost a year
      and a half after J2SE 1.5 (5.0) was first released!

      In certain business circumstances, supporting old releases is a requirement.

      Derek

    • George Dinwiddie
      Message 49 of 49 , Mar 7, 2006
        Brad Appleton wrote:
        > Regarding version-control (and branching) of databases, I've been
        > "collecting" links to various threads/discussions and sites that present
        > particular strategies.

        [snip]
        > If anyone has any other good URLs/references, please share them!

        You might want to look at Ruby Migrations, too.

        When I remember bygone days George Dinwiddie
        I think how evening follows morn; iDIA Computing, LLC
        So many I loved were not yet dead, gdinwiddie@...
        So many I love were not yet born. http://www.idiacomputing.com
        'The Middle' by Ogden Nash http://www.agilemaryland.org