New Blog Entry - XP and Goal Directed Development

  • Dave Rooney
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2006
      Hi folks,

      I've added a new blog entry about XP and Goal-Directed Development:

      http://mayford.ca/blog/?p=20

      "I started a new contract this week, in a group that is using XP merged
      with Goal-Directed development (c)."

      Dave Rooney
      Mayford Technologies
      http://www.mayford.ca
    • usidoesit
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2006
        --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Dave Rooney
        <dave.rooney@...> wrote:
        > I've added a new blog entry about XP and Goal-Directed Development:
        >
        > http://mayford.ca/blog/?p=20

        interesting gig.

        Cooper looks a little like waterfall blended with heuristics. Didn't
        see anything like governance through "structural tension" there though.

        You can take heuristics in straight shots

        Best,
        -R
      • Dave Rooney
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3, 2006
          usidoesit wrote:
          > interesting gig.

          The code on the project on which I'm working was written before the
          adoption of XP. There isn't a single test. There are classes that are
          3000 lines of Java code, methods that are 300 lines, and precious little
          whitespace. They're having problems with "silly logic errors", but
          they're complaining that every time they stamp one out, 2 more appear.
          Well, duh!

          To be honest, I'm not repulsed by it - I'm actually rather excited!
          Here's an opportunity to teach TDD to some people who haven't been
          exposed to it yet. I have Michael Feathers' "Working Effectively with
          Legacy Code" out on my desk in prominent view! ;)

          > Cooper looks a little like waterfall blended with heuristics. Didn't
          > see anything like governance through "structural tension" there though.
          >
          > You can take heuristics in straight shots

          > Best,
          > -R

          Yeah, Alan has some interesting views about XP:
          http://www.fawcette.com/interviews/beck_cooper/ . That's from a few
          years ago, but it shows his BDUF bias.

          Dave Rooney
          Mayford Technologies