Current use of branching for XP teams?

  • William Pietri
    Message 1 of 49 , Mar 1 12:31 PM
      I think it has been a while since branching last came up, and I'm
      curious to hear if there has been any evolution.

      My recollection of the last round of discussion was that there were
      three common reasons for using version control branching:

      1. I need it for fixing bugs in older versions of our products.
      2. I need it so I can work on something separate from the rest of my
      team.
      3. We need it so our teams can work separately from one another.

      The basic XP answer seemed to be to question whether there might be
      other ways of managing those problems that were functionally about as
      good but increased things that XP values, like communication, feedback,
      and simplicity.

      Is that roughly where people stand now? I'm especially interested to
      hear from people who have different positions and/or new experiences.

      Thanks,

      William

    • George Dinwiddie
      Message 49 of 49 , Mar 7 9:55 PM
        Brad Appleton wrote:
        > Regarding version-control (and branching) of databases, I've been
        > "collecting" links to various threads/discussions and sites that present
        > particular strategies.

        [snip]
        > If anyone has any other good URLs/references, please share them!

        You might want to look at Ruby Migrations, too.

        When I remember bygone days George Dinwiddie
        I think how evening follows morn; iDIA Computing, LLC
        So many I loved were not yet dead, gdinwiddie@...
        So many I love were not yet born. http://www.idiacomputing.com
        'The Middle' by Ogden Nash http://www.agilemaryland.org