Re: [XP] Cool build status lights

  • Ian Collins
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 28, 2006
      Ilja Preuss wrote:

      >>Doesn't this start to get on your nerves after a while?
      >>

      >The sounds? No. In fact we discarded some early sounds that were too subtle.
      >The feedback from the sound really is vital to us. In fact some of us even
      >tend to not hear the red alert anymore when they are involved into pair
      >programming, which isn't ideal.

      I'm a little confused with this build status thing, how often do these
      builds happen? On my last project, our branch merge scripts would fail
      if any test on the pre-merged branch failed, so we never broke the main
      branch.

      Ian
    • Ilja Preuss
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 1, 2006
        > I'm a little confused with this build status thing, how often do these
        > builds happen?

        Every hour, roughly. That is because a build currently takes an hour (and
        yes, this isn't ideal either).

        > On my last project, our branch merge scripts would
        > fail if any test on the pre-merged branch failed, so we never broke
        > the main branch.

        That sounds very good, but I don't know how to do this on our current
        project. I *do* have some ideas on how to bring build time down to an
        average of estimated ten minutes. Not sure how the sounds will work in that
        situation.

        This is a project with around a million lines of Java in 100+ interdependent
        CVS modules.

        Cheers, Ilja
      • Ian Collins
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 1, 2006
          Ilja Preuss wrote:

          >>I'm a little confused with this build status thing, how often do these
          >>builds happen?
          >>

          >Every hour, roughly. That is because a build currently takes an hour (and
          >yes, this isn't ideal either).

          Gulp!

          >>On my last project, our branch merge scripts would
          >>fail if any test on the pre-merged branch failed, so we never broke
          >>the main branch.
          >>

          >That sounds very good, but I don't know how to do this on our current
          >project. I *do* have some ideas on how to bring build time down to an
          >average of estimated ten minutes. Not sure how the sounds will work in that
          >situation.

          It worked for us because we kept our build time down to a couple of
          minutes, otherwise the temptation to bypass the validation phase became
          too great.

          Ian
        • Chris Smith
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 1, 2006
            > Doesn't this start to get on your nerves after a while? I can see it
            > being amusing at first, but all day every day?
            >
            > Ian

            The sounds only play when the status changes, not after every build,
            so it might only happen once or twice a day. You're right, if it was
            after every build, we'd soon get sick of it, or worse, get used to it.

            They've only been running for a week and we love them so far!

            Chris
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 1, 2006
              On Tuesday, February 28, 2006, at 11:40:55 PM, Ilja Preuss wrote:

              > The sounds? No. In fact we discarded some early sounds that were too subtle.
              > The feedback from the sound really is vital to us. In fact some of us even
              > tend to not hear the red alert anymore when they are involved into pair
              > programming, which isn't ideal.

              The voice that warns pilots of danger is typically that of a woman,
              because it gets their attention.

              Perhaps a voice saying something on the broken build would get
              people's attention.

              "Ilja, you've been a bad boy. Your build is broken! Go to your
              room!"

              It is not the strongest of the species that survive, not the most
              intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. --Charles Darwin
            • Jeff Morgan
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 1, 2006
                Our build kicks off every time somebody checks in code which is
                at least 20 times per day.

                - Cheezy

                On 3/1/06, Ian Collins <ian@...> wrote:

                > I'm a little confused with this build status thing, how often do these
                > builds happen? On my last project, our branch merge scripts would fail
                > if any test on the pre-merged branch failed, so we never broke the main
                > branch.
                >
                > Ian

              • Jeff Nielsen
                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 1, 2006
                  "Chris Smith" <chris@...> wrote:

                  > The sounds only play when the status changes, not after every build,
                  > so it might only happen once or twice a day. You're right, if it was
                  > after every build, we'd soon get sick of it, or worse, get used to it.

                  We solve this problem by using random movie clips for build successes.
                  People are free to contribute their favorite ones just by checking them into
                  the "success sounds" directory in CVS. This usually gives the team a good
                  chuckle every 30-60 minutes or so.

                  The failure sound is always the same, though, and is designed to be jarring.
                  This seems to increase the urgency of dealing with whatever caused the
                  problem, because no one wants to hear the sirens/screams/warp drive failure
                  2-3 times in a row.

                  Jeff Nielsen
                  Digital Focus
                  www.digitalfocus.com
                • Jason Nocks
                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 2, 2006
                    Cool. One of these days I want to try to get a U.S. traffic light from e-bay
                    or somewhere. In the meantime, Toys R Us sells a little traffic light for
                    about US $10.

                    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001X0DTO/103-4787859-1871802?v=glance

                    Just a little rewiring inside (hook each light up to its own power cord), a
                    couple of X-10 modules and a controller (also very inexpensive), and you are
                    in business.

                    --
                    Cheers,
                    Jason Nocks

                    Bliki:
                    http://wiki.sourcextreme.org/index.php/Bliki:Jason

                    On Tuesday 28 February 2006 8:49 am, Chris Smith wrote:
                    > I thought I'd share our new build status lights with the group:
                    >
                    > http://i2.tinypic.com/orii5k.jpg
                    >
                    > This is a real, four foot high British traffic light, which is hooked
                    > up to our build machine. It was a scoop at only £40 from ebay, but I
                    > didn't envy my colleague who had to bring it into work on a crowded
                    > London train.
                    >
                    > The build machine also plays sounds when the build status changes:
                    >
                    > Red: compilation failure; plays a submarine style siren sound
                    > Amber: test failure; plays a 'wrong answer' sound from a game show
                    > Green: build success; plays a 'Hallelujah!' sound
                    >
                    > We also have a secret Friday night mode that plays disco music and
                    > alternates combinations of lights to the beat, but we haven't shown
                    > that to the Customer yet :-)
                    >
                    > So, do we have the coolest build status lights?
                    >
                    > Chris
                  • Rob Park
                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 8, 2006
                      I can't say our build indicator is as cool, but we like it. :-)

                      And being an XP-shop, we wrote stories and test-drove the development
                      of our Orb's hookup.

                      We gave a small presententation on Monday in CO on that very project,
                      but you can find the details, steps, and pictures at our web site
                      AgileSkunkWorks.org.

                      .rob.
                    • Brandon Campbell
                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 8, 2006
                        On 3/8/06, Rob Park <rpark68@...> wrote:

                        > I can't say our build indicator is as cool, but we like it. :-)
                        >
                        > And being an XP-shop, we wrote stories and test-drove the development
                        > of our Orb's hookup.
                        >
                        > We gave a small presententation on Monday in CO on that very project,
                        > but you can find the details, steps, and pictures at our web site
                        > AgileSkunkWorks.org.
                        >
                        > .rob.

                        Rob,

                        That site just took me to what looks like your companies home page.

                        --
                        Brandon Campbell
                        http://bjsea.blogspot.com/

                      • Rob Park
                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 9, 2006
                          It shouldn't. Our company home page is a link at the bottom to
                          www.rapidlog.com.

                          www.agileskunkworks.org should go to the home page of a site we have just
                          for posting agile dev info. There are links on the left for "The Orb" and
                          an article link in the middle for the "Build Indicator Lamp".

                          Does that help? Or am I missing something?

                          .rob.

                          P.S. Through some feedback, we've found that you should ignore our VS setup
                          page. We missed a very simple little feature in Studio. We'll update that
                          over the weekend.

                          >From: "Brandon Campbell" <brandonjc@...>
                          >To: extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com
                          >Subject: Re: [XP] Cool build status lights
                          >Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 13:46:29 -0700
                          >
                          >On 3/8/06, Rob Park <rpark68@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I can't say our build indicator is as cool, but we like it. :-)
                          > >
                          > > And being an XP-shop, we wrote stories and test-drove the development
                          > > of our Orb's hookup.
                          > >
                          > > We gave a small presententation on Monday in CO on that very project,
                          > > but you can find the details, steps, and pictures at our web site
                          > > AgileSkunkWorks.org.
                          > >
                          > > .rob.
                          > >

                          >Rob,
                          >
                          >That site just took me to what looks like your companies home page.
                          >
                          >--
                          >Brandon Campbell
                          >http://bjsea.blogspot.com/
                          >http://www.squidoo.com/xp/

                          >ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com
                          >Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Anthony Moralez
                          Message 12 of 23 , Mar 9, 2006
                            The issue I had was when I clicked the URL in from the eamil it had a
                            '.' at the end so the browser displayed this URL
                            http://agileskunkworks.org/ which for some reason ends up at
                            www.rapidlog.com

                            hope that helps.
                            Anthony Moralez
                            On 3/9/06, Rob Park <rpark68@...> wrote:
                            > It shouldn't. Our company home page is a link at the bottom to
                            > www.rapidlog.com.
                            >
                            > www.agileskunkworks.org should go to the home page of a site we have just
                            > for posting agile dev info. There are links on the left for "The Orb" and
                            > an article link in the middle for the "Build Indicator Lamp".
                            >
                            > Does that help? Or am I missing something?
                            >
                            > .rob.
                            >
                            > P.S. Through some feedback, we've found that you should ignore our VS setup
                            > page. We missed a very simple little feature in Studio. We'll update that
                            > over the weekend.
                            >

                            > >From: "Brandon Campbell" <brandonjc@...>
                            > >To: extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com
                            > >Subject: Re: [XP] Cool build status lights
                            > >Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 13:46:29 -0700
                            > >
                            > >On 3/8/06, Rob Park <rpark68@...> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > I can't say our build indicator is as cool, but we like it. :-)
                            > > >
                            > > > And being an XP-shop, we wrote stories and test-drove the development
                            > > > of our Orb's hookup.
                            > > >
                            > > > We gave a small presententation on Monday in CO on that very project,
                            > > > but you can find the details, steps, and pictures at our web site
                            > > > AgileSkunkWorks.org.
                            > > >
                            > > > .rob.
                            > > >

                            > >Rob,
                            > >
                            > >That site just took me to what looks like your companies home page.
                            > >
                            > >--
                            > >Brandon Campbell
                            > >http://bjsea.blogspot.com/
                            > >http://www.squidoo.com/xp/