RE: [XP] Pair Programming or Test-driven Development?

  • Kent Beck
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 18, 2006
      The question seems to be a complex one to me. What I would do depends most
      of all on who was available. You can't really talk about about "one
      high-capacity programmer" versus "two lower-capacity programmers". You'll be
      hiring people.

      It seems like there is a risk in hiring two people who have never worked
      together before that they won't get along. Putting all the programming
      burden on one person introduces a significant risk that that one person goes
      away. Two programmers would probably form the nucleus of a growing team more
      easily than one.

      Basically, my advice to the OP is hire people, not programmers. Once he (or
      they) are part of the larger team, you'll all figure out together how to
      work--how much to pair, who needs to talk with whom, who has overall
      responsibility for what.

      Sincerely yours,

      Kent Beck
      Three Rivers Institute