[extremeprogramming] Re: Just wanted to say hello....

  • Bill Caputo
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 1, 2000
      Geoff,

      > Actually, I'm just about to bail out too. I get the feeling that this list
      > is just a big love fest for the XP principals.

      Having only been on this list for a week, I am curious, about your
      expectations:

      I want to learn more about this methodology. It seems to me that the best
      way to do this is to read the comments (and evangelizing) of those who are
      in favor of it, as well as the comments of skeptics who are unsure, or even
      outright against it.

      There seems to be a lot like me (the lurker flood showed that), several
      practictioners, and some skeptics. I am getting what I came for, I am glad
      there are evangelists, and the skeptics are voicing valid questions--and not
      getting flamed, but instead generating discussion.

      So my question is what did you expect a mailing list about Extreme
      Programming to be if not an exposition of its principles?

      Best,
      Bill
    • Robert C. Martin
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 1, 2000
        Hello Alan, nice to hear from you again.

        Uncle Bob.

      • Mark Strecker
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 1, 2000
          Hello Alan,

             It's good to hear from you again.

          Mark

          Alan Francis wrote:

          I'm Alan, one of the two Brits (three is you count Mr Fowler)  who attended
          XPImmersionOne, so Hi to anyone else who was there...

          A.
          --
          Alan C Francis <alanf@...> [ http://www.owl.co.uk/ ]
          I would never die for my beliefs. I might be wrong. - Bertrand Russell

          GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds!  Get rates as low as 0.0%
          Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR and no hidden fees.  Apply NOW!
          http://click.egroups.com/1/911/0/_/263270/_/949419096/

          -- Create a poll/survey for your group!
          -- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=extremeprogramming&m=1

        • Alan Francis
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 1, 2000
            Hi Bob, Hi Mark...

            I attempted to join the lista while ago, but cheerily failed to properly
            read the initial mail that I had to reply-to. I spent a few weeks wondering
            why there was no traffic on the list :-)

            A.
            --
            Alan C Francis <alanf@...> [ http://www.owl.co.uk/ ]
            I would never die for my beliefs. I might be wrong. - Bertrand Russell

            >> I'm Alan, one of the two Brits (three is you count Mr Fowler) who
            attended
            >> XPImmersionOne, so Hi to anyone else who was there...
            >>
            >> A.
            >> --
            >> Alan C Francis <alanf@...> [ http://www.owl.co.uk/ ]
            >> I would never die for my beliefs. I might be wrong. - Bertrand Russell

            >> GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates as low as 0.0%
            >> Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR and no hidden fees. Apply NOW!
            >>
            >> -- Create a poll/survey for your group!
            >> -- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=extremeprogramming&m=1

            >GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates
            >as low as 0.0% Intro APR and no hidden fees.
            >Apply NOW!

            >-- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=extremeprogramming&m=1

          • Bob Oliver
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 1, 2000

              Well, I just wanted to say goodbye. Why would the 400
              or so of us who are not Alan care that you find it nice
              to hear from him?

              Is this what you had in mind when you started this group?

              Regards,

              Bob Oliver
            • Geoffrey Clements
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 1, 2000
                Actually, I'm just about to bail out too. I get the feeling that this list
                is just a big love fest for the XP principals.

                geoff

                > > Hello Alan, nice to hear from you again.
                > >
                > > Uncle Bob.
                >
                > Well, I just wanted to say goodbye. Why would the 400
                > or so of us who are not Alan care that you find it nice
                > to hear from him?
                >
                > Is this what you had in mind when you started this group?
                >
                > Regards,
                >
                > Bob Oliver

                > eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/extremeprogramming/

              • Barry Gervin
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 1, 2000
                  This sort of relates to the OpenSource question.

                  The project that I'm working on is a commercial product development and I'm
                  trying to visualize how things will be affected if we were to apply the XP
                  principles.

                  The way our release cycles work is when we have finished a version (say 3.6)
                  we release it to our customers who are ready for a release. We start to work
                  on the next version (3.7). In the background however our maintenance team
                  does some maintenance on the last version (3.6). Furthermore, if we have a
                  big module that will take some time & iterations to get right, we may start
                  working on 3.8 as well. By the time 3.7 is ready, we release it to customers
                  who are ready for 3.7. Some customers may still stay at 3.6 and eventually
                  upgrade to 4.0. They may need some interim fixes, they may even need a logic
                  change.

                  The challenging part of this is to refactor mercilessly. I guess this is a
                  challenge to begin with - but it's easy to promote maintenance fix from 3.6
                  to 3.7 if 3.7 hasn't been refactored mercilessly. I guess this is why you
                  need serious test functionality in place or this thing falls down like a
                  house of cards.

                  Any input from anyone doing XP in a similar environment.
                  1) Commercial Product
                  2) Parallel Version Development

                  Thanks

                  Barry Gervin
                  bgervin@...
                • Geoffrey Clements
                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 1, 2000
                    Hi,

                    > Geoff,
                    >
                    > > Actually, I'm just about to bail out too. I get the feeling that this
                    list
                    > > is just a big love fest for the XP principals.
                    >
                    > Having only been on this list for a week, I am curious, about your
                    > expectations:

                    Wait another week or two. You'll see what I mean.

                    Usually when I participate in a mailing list I expect an occasional reply.
                    Perhaps no one cares about what I have to say, or what I have to say is just
                    too dumb to comment on, but if it is, someone set me straight. Maybe its
                    just the high traffic. Maybe no one is reading anything unless its from Kent
                    Beck, Ron Jefferes, Robert Martin, Mike Feathers, (hey Mike want those
                    CppUnit BeOS diffs or what?), and one or two others.

                    I made what I thought was an interesting comment about a hieracy of XP teams
                    to manage/implement a larger project. Not one response. In fact, except for
                    one or two personal responses, I think this is the only response anyone has
                    made to one of my postings. And in order to get it, I had to be a complete
                    jerk. (Sorry about that by the way.)

                    The whole thread about flexability in XP left a abd taste in my mouth. Its
                    like everyone here is a zealot. Maybe its just the excitement about XP. I
                    agree with Dave Thomas. XP needs to be flexible. The whole point of XP is to
                    reduce risk. If you mandate how XP MUST be impemented you are increasing
                    risk by not being able to incorporate new developements into XP, or driving
                    people away becasue they jsut can't implement all of XP.

                    I bet there are a few XP/UML/Patterns/Refactoring folks who think that XP
                    has a lot of good in it but can't stomach it because of its inability to
                    integrate with other methodologies.

                    > I want to learn more about this methodology. It seems to me that the best
                    > way to do this is to read the comments (and evangelizing) of those who are
                    > in favor of it, as well as the comments of skeptics who are unsure, or
                    even
                    > outright against it.

                    Everything you need to know is in the XP book and Martin Fowler's
                    Refactoring book.

                    I think there is more power for the working developer in Hunt and Thomas'
                    Pragmatic Programmer in combination with Fowler's Refactoring book.

                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 1, 2000
                      According to my email files, you have posted 22 times out of about 1200
                      total postings, about 1/60. I've posted over 100, which suggests that I've
                      so far replied to 1/12 of the postings. Of those, one of them (not counting
                      the private one) was to you. So I guess I owe you one ... ;->

                      Stick around,

                      Ron

                      At 02:33 PM 2/1/2000 -0500, you wrote:
> [...]
                      >

                      > > There seems to be a lot like me (the lurker flood showed that), several
                      > > practictioners, and some skeptics. I am getting what I came for, I am glad
                      > > there are evangelists, and the skeptics are voicing valid questions--and
                      >not
                      > > getting flamed, but instead generating discussion.
                      > >
                      > > So my question is what did you expect a mailing list about Extreme
                      > > Programming to be if not an exposition of its principles?
                      > >
                      > > Best,
                      > > Bill

                      > > GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates as low as 0.0%
                      > > Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR and no hidden fees. Apply NOW!
                      > >
                      > > -- Create a poll/survey for your group!
                      > > -- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=extremeprogramming&m=1

                      >GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates
                      >as low as 0.0% Intro APR and no hidden fees.

                      Ron Jeffries
                      Extreme Programming Training and Consultation
                      www.XProgramming.com
                    • Mike Schneider
                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 1, 2000
                        Barry,

                        Clearcase works very well for this as it versions directories, as well as, files.

                        The merge tools are good, and multisite support is available.

                        It is a Rational Product  www.rational.com

                        You can email directly if you have detailed questions (Brad can probably add value to this :-)

                        Mike

                        Barry Gervin wrote:

[...]

                        GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds!  Get rates as low as 2.9%
                        Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR and no hidden fees.  Apply NOW!
                        http://click.egroups.com/1/915/0/_/263270/_/949431525/

                        -- http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=extremeprogramming&m=1

                        Michael L. Schneider                      Email: Michael.Schneider@...
                        Structural Dynamics Research Corp         Tel:   (513) 576-2935
                        Milford OH, 45150                         Group: Software Process Group

                          "The best performance improvement is the transition from the
                           nonworking state to the working state" - John Ousterhout

                      • Mike Schneider
                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 1, 2000
                          Geoff,

                          If that is you concerns, please hold out.  I would value your comments.  Many people
                          on this list are still trying to understand the relationships between the
                          principles.

                          If XP states that you must use all principles to truly do XP, than you have to learn
                          and get some practice using the principles before you can "ask the dirty questions".

                          Learning process

                          1) Learn vocabulary
                          2) Practice making sentences
                          3) Write paragraphs
                          4) Write Stories
                          5)  Questions the meanings of the words

                          I am in the 1,2,3 cycles right now.  I am interested in scaling XP, but am working on
                          getting the handle on XP for small projects right now.

                          The XP Immersion course really helped with the vocabulary.  A couple of small
                          projects helped with the "making sentences out of the words".

                          Soon we will be looking at larger projects, I think that critical questions will be asked
                          at that time.

                          Bail if you need to, but I hope that you will continue to add to the group.

                          Mike

                          Geoffrey Clements wrote:

                          Actually, I'm just about to bail out too. I get the feeling that this list
                          is just a big love fest for the XP principals.

                          geoff

                          > > Hello Alan, nice to hear from you again.
                          > >
                          > > Uncle Bob.
                          >
                          > Well, I just wanted to say goodbye.  Why would the 400
                          > or so of us who are not Alan care that you find it nice
                          > to hear from him?
                          >
                          > Is this what you had in mind when you started this group?
                          >
                          > Regards,
                          >
                          > Bob Oliver

                          > eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/extremeprogramming/

                          Get what you deserve with NextCard Visa! ZERO! Rates as low as
                          0.0% Intro APR, online balance transfers, Rewards Points, no
                          hidden fees, and much more! Get NextCard today and get the credit
                          you deserve!  Apply now! Get your NextCard Visa at:
                          http://click.egroups.com/1/966/0/_/263270/_/949429919/

                          -- http://www.egroups.com/docvault/extremeprogramming/?m=1

                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 1, 2000
                            >The XP Immersion course really helped with the vocabulary. A couple of
                            small
                            >projects helped with the "making sentences out of the words".

                            Actually, I'd really like to go to one of these, but I'm on the wrong coast,
                            and I can't afford it. (I'd be paying for it out of my own pocket.)

                            >Bail if you need to, but I hope that you will continue to add to the group.

                            First, let me apologise again for being a jerk.

                            Pehaps if people understood that the volume on this list is getting to high.
                            Most messages are pretty high in content, but there is just too many to keep
                            up with, and sometimes they repeat, or just add a little to the discussion
                            in progress. Kind of like I'm doing now. (I'll shut up now.)

                            geoff
                          • Dave Thomas
                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 1, 2000
                              Mike Schneider <michael.schneider@...> writes:

                              > Learning process
                              >
                              > 1) Learn vocabulary
                              > 2) Practice making sentences
                              > 3) Write paragraphs
                              > 4) Write Stories
                              > 5) Questions the meanings of the words

                              There's another way of looking at this, though. You become immersed in
                              something, learn its ways and its foibles, and, once initiated, become
                              a staunch defender of the faith. (This isn't just XP, it's a reflection
                              of the affiliative nature of humans.) What you're doing becomes
                              "accepted wisdom". People who question it are ignorant outsiders.

                              Some of us are worried that XP, which we really want to succeed, has
                              some flaws. Before everyone becomes too entrenched, we'd like to be
                              able to discuss these.

                              That's all

                              Dave

                              --
                              Thomas Consulting.
                              Innovative and successful developments with Unix, Java, C, and C++.

                              Now in bookstores:
                              The Pragmatic Programmer. www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/ppbook/
                            • Don Wells
                              Message 14 of 23 , Feb 1, 2000
                                >> > it is just a big love fest for the XP principals.

                                Not everyone agrees with the XP principals on everything. Explosions
                                occasionally occur. It is purely coincidental that none have occured here
                                yet.

                                Don Wells
                              • Brad Appleton
                                Message 15 of 23 , Feb 1, 2000
                                  On Tue, Feb 01, 2000 at 03:23:42PM -0500, Mike Schneider wrote:
                                  > You can email directly if you have detailed questions
                                  > (Brad can probably add value to this :-)

                                  I guess I can't turn down such a generous offer. Not that this necessarily
                                  has any strong relationship to XP (maybe it does and maybe it doesn't),
                                  but if your looking for patterns or best-practices on using branching and
                                  merging for parallel development, then allow me to direct your attention
                                  to my ACME website at:

                                  http://www.enteract.com/~bradapp/acme/

                                  In particular, look at the paper named "Streamed Lines", and (if you are
                                  using ClearCase or Perforce) you might also look at the page entitled
                                  "Common ClearCase Practice". The first paper describes about 4 dozen
                                  patterns of branching/merging (not to mention a dozen or so pitfalls)
                                  and how to use them together to manage parallel development efforts using
                                  your version control tool. The second paper *briefly* describes a couple
                                  hundred or so common ClearCase practices, including many practices about
                                  branching and merging and labeling ("tagging" for CVS users).

                                  Note that CVS adds some extra wrinkles to the branching and merging
                                  problem because (unlike ClearCase or Perforce), it doesn't track points
                                  of divergence (origin of a branch) or convergence (ancestry of merges).
                                  CVS tracks the latest version on a branch very well. Its not so easy to
                                  the initial version on a branch for several files. And CVS doesn't track
                                  merging at all, so it can't readily determine which changes have already
                                  been merged and which haven't the way ClearCase and Perforce and Bitkeeper
                                  (and others) can.

                                  Note that followups specific to branching/merging (and NOT to XP)
                                  should probably be redirected to private email, or else to the
                                  scm-patterns list or the cmtalk (formerly version-control) mailing
                                  list.

                                  Cheers!
                                  --
                                  Brad Appleton <bradapp@...> http://www.enteract.com/~bradapp/
                                • Barry Gervin
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Feb 1, 2000
                                    Okay thanks very much for the tips on branching & merging. I'm sure it will
                                    be helpful....

                                    however, the reason I'm asking here, is of course for XP insight and
                                    particularly how the whole refactoring process relates to parallel develop
                                    and how you manage that.

                                    Maybe let me throw this out...

                                    How can you possible refactor when parallel development is involved. Doesn't
                                    this make it very difficult to promote a maintenance change (bug fix or
                                    perhaps enhancement) to a class in a newer version when that new class has
                                    been totally blown to bits (because of refactoring) in the new version?

                                    The problem is not so bad when it's just maintenance - it's more like you
                                    have serious parallel development going on. Say 3.5 is your base release and
                                    you have two major enhancements A & B. You don't know if A will turn into
                                    3.6 and B 3.7, or the other way around. Or perhaps both will merge together
                                    into 3.6. Until the modules (which share a common database and rely on some
                                    common classes) are close to complete and have a release cycle planned
                                    concretely it's hard to refactor any of the base classes because then you
                                    make dependencies about them both being released together, or one before the
                                    other.

                                    My client maintains we can't refactor classes that exist in a prior released
                                    version because of these head aches. It's hard to disagree. Help me out!

                                    Barry Gervin

                                    On Tue, Feb 01, 2000 at 03:23:42PM -0500, Mike Schneider wrote:
                                    > You can email directly if you have detailed questions
                                    > (Brad can probably add value to this :-)

                                    I guess I can't turn down such a generous offer. Not that this necessarily
                                    has any strong relationship to XP (maybe it does and maybe it doesn't),
                                    but if your looking for patterns or best-practices on using branching and
                                    merging for parallel development, then allow me to direct your attention
                                    to my ACME website at:

                                    http://www.enteract.com/~bradapp/acme/

                                    In particular, look at the paper named "Streamed Lines", and (if you are
                                    using ClearCase or Perforce) you might also look at the page entitled
                                    "Common ClearCase Practice". The first paper describes about 4 dozen
                                    patterns of branching/merging (not to mention a dozen or so pitfalls)
                                    and how to use them together to manage parallel development efforts using
                                    your version control tool. The second paper *briefly* describes a couple
                                    hundred or so common ClearCase practices, including many practices about
                                    branching and merging and labeling ("tagging" for CVS users).

                                    Note that CVS adds some extra wrinkles to the branching and merging
                                    problem because (unlike ClearCase or Perforce), it doesn't track points
                                    of divergence (origin of a branch) or convergence (ancestry of merges).
                                    CVS tracks the latest version on a branch very well. Its not so easy to
                                    the initial version on a branch for several files. And CVS doesn't track
                                    merging at all, so it can't readily determine which changes have already
                                    been merged and which haven't the way ClearCase and Perforce and Bitkeeper
                                    (and others) can.

                                    Note that followups specific to branching/merging (and NOT to XP)
                                    should probably be redirected to private email, or else to the
                                    scm-patterns list or the cmtalk (formerly version-control) mailing
                                    list.

                                    Cheers!
                                    --
                                    Brad Appleton <bradapp@...> http://www.enteract.com/~bradapp/

                                    FREE ADVICE FROM REAL PEOPLE! Xpertsite has thousands of experts who
                                    are willing to answer your questions for FREE. Go to Xpertsite today and
                                    put your mind to rest.
                                    http://click.egroups.com/1/1033/0/_/263270/_/949445897/

                                    -- http://www.egroups.com/docvault/extremeprogramming/?m=1
                                  • Andy Glew
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Feb 1, 2000
                                      > How can you possible refactor when parallel development is involved.
                                      >
                                      > My client maintains we can't refactor classes that exist in a prior released
                                      > version because of these head aches. It's hard to disagree. Help me out!

                                      When I asked a similar question on the newsgroup prior to this mailing list
                                      - my question was actually about applying refactorings to code imported
                                      from, and tracking, outside sources - the answer was pretty much
                                      "wrap up that code and try not to touch it". :-(

                                      But allow me to guess at some things that might help:

                                      Much of the problem is that many of our version control tools
                                      are file based - and class based tools are only a little bit better.
                                      When, e.g., a method in class A is patched, but that method has
                                      migrated to class B, all of the VC tools that I am familiar with will
                                      give up and report a conflict that has to be patched manually.

                                      However, there's another class of VC tools that is line based
                                      - Cray's old "deck of cards" based tool was like this. In the modern world,
                                      I'm not sure, but IBM Visual Age C++ / Java at least have the potential
                                      to act like this. In such a VC system, one can track the evolution of
                                      individual lines of code - so if a method has been moved, the VC
                                      system can see where it has been moved to, and take a stab at applying
                                      the patch.

                                      Please, if anyone is using Visual Age and can confirm that their code
                                      database provides line based VC, please tell me!

                                      ---

                                      Flip side: in typical file and class based VC systems, maybe refactoring
                                      makes patches harder to apply. But, at least you should be able to run the
                                      tests that come with the patch? Especially if you move methods,
                                      but leave the old method around delegating.
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Feb 2, 2000
                                        At 10:31 PM 2/1/2000 -0500, you wrote:
                                        >My client maintains we can't refactor classes that exist in a prior released
                                        >version because of these head aches. It's hard to disagree. Help me out!

                                        There's truth to this notion. What you can do is limited by what's
                                        published. Much refactoring doesn't impact the public API, and you can do
                                        that with impunity. (The customer does have to load a consistent cut of the
                                        software, of course).

                                        Your tests can allow you to refactor where otherwise you might fear to
                                        tread. But the cost of change DOES jump up after publication. Only
                                        experience in the specific case will tell you whether it has jumped too high.

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Feb 2, 2000
                                          At 10:31 PM 2/1/2000 -0500, you wrote:
                                          >How can you possible refactor when parallel development is involved. Doesn't
                                          >this make it very difficult to promote a maintenance change (bug fix or
                                          >perhaps enhancement) to a class in a newer version when that new class has
                                          >been totally blown to bits (because of refactoring) in the new version?

                                          Doctor, it hurts when I fork my versions ...

                                          Doctor, it hurts when I release bugs ...

                                          However, when you do, you do. So make fixing the problem identify the
                                          problem in all versions, fixing it independently. Promote the Test Showing
                                          the Defect to all versions to prevent recurrence. Fixing the structure of
                                          the code is more important than added difficulty with testing/fixing. But
                                          if you are doing Unit Tests at 100% ab initio, the testing/fixing really
                                          will be cut way down.

                                        • jorg.schaible@db.com
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Feb 2, 2000
                                            Hi Berry,

                                            you may have a look at Perforce (http://www.perforce.com). The product is only
                                            available via the web, but it seems to fit perfectly your needs. You may have an
                                            impression of the product yourself (free two user version and you'll always get
                                            a 30 day evaluation license with any user number), have a look at a lot of "best
                                            strategies" material and from my experience I can only credit Perfroce's
                                            support.

                                            Regards,
                                            Jörg Schaible

                                            ---------------------------------------- Message History

                                            From: bgervin@... on 01/02/2000 18:58

                                            Please respond to extremeprogramming@egroups.com

                                            To: extremeprogramming@egroups.com
                                            cc:
                                            Subject: [extremeprogramming] Parallel Version Development: Branching & Merging
                                          • Ruben Reifenberg
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Feb 2, 2000
                                              Well, the problem did surely not come up with XP. Whenever we
                                              refactored (also before knowing the terms "refactoring" and "XP") we
                                              had the problem to promote fixes to later versions that were refactored.

                                              So I'm also generally interested in ideas how to manage it most
                                              efficiently...currently I try to focus on the benefits of refactoring
                                              and hope there are some advantages remaining also with the
                                              "promote-fixes-problem".
                                              E.g.
                                              "When it is not easy to promote the fix in the refactored version, you
                                              did not a good refactoring, because the code should become easier to
                                              maintain..."
                                              or maybe "There is a good chance that the refactoring made the
                                              maintainance fix redundant already." (?)
                                              If it did not, I also think you are in trouble if you have no test that
                                              covers the problem that was fixed.
                                              Greetings
                                              Ruben

                                              "barry gervin" <bgervi-@...> wrote:
                                              original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/extremeprogramming/?start
                                              =1189
                                              > This sort of relates to the OpenSource question.
                                              >
                                              > The project that I'm working on is a commercial product development
                                              and I'm
                                              > trying to visualize how things will be affected if we were to apply
                                              the XP
                                              > principles.
                                              >
                                              > The way our release cycles work is when we have finished a version
                                              (say 3.6)
                                              > we release it to our customers who are ready for a release. We start
                                              to work
                                              > on the next version (3.7). In the background however our maintenance
                                              team
                                              > does some maintenance on the last version (3.6). Furthermore, if we
                                              have a
                                              > big module that will take some time & iterations to get right, we may
                                              start
                                              > working on 3.8 as well. By the time 3.7 is ready, we release it to
                                              customers
                                              > who are ready for 3.7. Some customers may still stay at 3.6 and
                                              eventually
                                              > upgrade to 4.0. They may need some interim fixes, they may even need
                                              a logic
                                              > change.
                                              >
                                              > The challenging part of this is to refactor mercilessly. I guess this
                                              is a
                                              > challenge to begin with - but it's easy to promote maintenance fix
                                              from 3.6
                                              > to 3.7 if 3.7 hasn't been refactored mercilessly. I guess this is why
                                              you
                                              > need serious test functionality in place or this thing falls down
                                              like a
                                              > house of cards.
                                              >
                                              > Any input from anyone doing XP in a similar environment.
                                              > 1) Commercial Product
                                              > 2) Parallel Version Development
                                              >
                                              > Thanks
                                              >
                                              > Barry Gervin
                                              > bgervin@...

                                            • Fred George
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Feb 2, 2000
                                                From: Barry Gervin [mailto:bgervin@...]
                                                Subject: [extremeprogramming] Parallel Version Development: Branching &
                                                Merging

                                                "The project that I'm working on is a commercial product development and I'm
                                                trying to visualize how things will be affected if we were to apply the XP
                                                principles.
                                                Any input from anyone doing XP in a similar environment.
                                                1) Commercial Product
                                                2) Parallel Version Development"

                                                Let me first say I have had no experience trying to address this problem.
                                                But, I have given it a lot of thought for my clients...

                                                Having two XP code bases evolve independently and go _days_ without
                                                integration is terribly scary, creating _fear_, one of the things XP tries
                                                to eliminate. Thus, your environment is not conducive to XP. But...

                                                I believe in Continuous Software Releasing. Rapid iterations combined with
                                                suites of tests should allow a product to be cut for release quickly. XP
                                                greatly facilitates this. It's legacy release structures and processes that
                                                inhibits Continuous Software Releasing.

                                                If a client wants (for new functions) or needs (defect correction), the
                                                client obtains the latest release. Maintenance becomes a core development
                                                function, with defects treated like any other engineering task. Indeed,
                                                maintenance programs have practiced Collective Code Ownership for years,
                                                fixing problems in whatever component was necessary.

                                                Who objects to this? Clients are afraid of new software because its quality
                                                is suspect. XP's object design, refactoring, and test practices mitigate
                                                this problem, although it would take time to convince a client that
                                                tomorrow's code is _more_ reliable than today's (more test cases, more eyes
                                                have seen it, etc.).

                                                Traditional test organizations may object: They want to hold code hostage
                                                for months before "approving" it for release. XP encourages the functional
                                                tests to be developed in parallel to the code, and run as the code is
                                                developed. At most, a few days of additional validation should suffice.

                                                One lesson learned from our JIT manufacturing brethren is that if a process
                                                needs to be improved by 20%, it is just tweaked. If a process needs to be
                                                improved 500%, new thinking kicks in and new solutions emerge. JIT was
                                                borne of just such thinking.

                                                So you challenge is to recognize and measure the horrible cost of
                                                integration. To drive out that cost, process changes would need to be
                                                introduced. And the journey to Continuous Software Releasing begins.

                                                Fred
                                                mailto:FredGeorge@...