RE: [XP] Free Developer: just submit your user story or give me y our code tests ANN]

  • Hiller, Dean
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2006
      I have a user story I would love to see. Right click on a JUnit method and
      be able to select run as JUnit test and it runs only that one method
      test(instead of running the whole suite). Right now, I have to go over to
      outline and right click on the method there(and it took me forever to find
      that). It would be awesome if a shortcut key was added. I always use the
      alt-shift-x and t, but if I double click a method, I would love it if that
      shortcut ran just that one method instead of the whole suite.
      thanks,
      dean

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2006
        Hiller, Dean wrote:
        > I have a user story I would love to see. Right click on a JUnit method and
        > be able to select run as JUnit test and it runs only that one method
        > test(instead of running the whole suite). Right now, I have to go over to
        > outline and right click on the method there(and it took me forever to find
        > that). It would be awesome if a shortcut key was added. I always use the
        > alt-shift-x and t, but if I double click a method, I would love it if that
        > shortcut ran just that one method instead of the whole suite.

        Since I don't use the outline view, I wasn't aware of this, so I'll add
        that you can also run a single test from the Members view in Eclipse.
        And if a test fails, you can rerun the individual failed test from the
        JUnit view.

        I like this one. IDEA has supported a similar ability for quite a while.
        I think the way it worked in IDEA was that you could hit a shortcut key
        (I assigned this to Ctrl-T) and it would execute the test method (if
        any) that encompassed the current cursor position. If the cursor was
        external to a test method but within the scope of a test class, it'd
        execute the entire set of tests on the class. Very valuable and
        effective if you're in the unfortunate boat of not being able to run the
        entire suite.

        But you'll have to wait until Hugo finishes the JUnit string compare
        story. The iteration's full. :-)

        -Jeff-

        --
        Langr Software Solutions
        http://langrsoft.com
        author, Agile Java: Crafting Code With Test-Driven Development
      • Steve Bate
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2, 2006
          > Hiller, Dean wrote:
          >
          > I have a user story I would love to see. Right click on a JUnit
          > method and be able to select run as JUnit test and it runs only that
          > one method test(instead of running the whole suite).

          Hi Dean,

          Have you seen...

          http://sourceforge.net/projects/junitrunner/

          "Eclipse plugin to allow run/debug junit test method using
          context popup menu. Method to launch is defined by cursor
          position. If cursor between methods the whole junit class
          is launched."

          Is this what you want? If so, if you are using an Eclipse version < 3.2, be
          sure to use JUnitRunner 1.1.0 instead of the latest version.

          I also use the trick Jeff mentioned where I right click in the outline view
          (or class members list) to run a single test. The side effect of this
          technique is it creates a launch configuration for the single test. I can
          then modify the JVM arguments, class path, and so on for that single test
          and then relaunch it. That's useful to me sometimes when doing performance
          tests or running tests against multiple versions of JAR files.
          Using JUnitRunner doesn't create a launch configuration which may be useful
          if you don't want clutter in the launch configurations from running single
          tests.

          Regards,

          Steve