Hiring : was Re: [XP] The amazing misunderstanding of XP

  • Ken Boucher
    Message 1 of 49 , Jan 31, 2006
      > We have approximately four teams in the same physical area.
      > You are right, wall space is always at a premium. We use a
      > couple of techniques. We have a bunch of little 24 or 30 inch
      > wide rolling white boards. We have one or two larger rolling
      > whiteboards. We put the open development area around the
      > outside of the room, and put cubes in the center for
      > customers, project managers, etc.

      http://fairlygoodpractices.com/rolling.htm for photos of the whiteboards.

      A shot of our old room (same theory) can be found at
      http://fairlygoodpractices.com/open.htm (and now that I look, I see a
      rolling whiteboard there as well...)
    • whojgalt04
      Message 49 of 49 , Feb 7, 2006
        --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Larry Brunelle
        <brunelle@...> wrote:

        > Steven Gordon wrote:
        > > I wonder how much of the code produced by pairing with candidates
        could
        > > actually be leveraged. Would there be an obligation to pay the
        candidate
        > > for an hour of work if the code developed in the pairing session was
        > > actually used?

        > o Regardless of good faith, who DOES own that code?

        It wasn't pair programming, but in the last job I had, I later found
        my interview test code in the production system. I looked at it as a
        compliment, but it did strike me a little off, and I still joke about
        how they used me...

        I'd say that the upstanding way to do it is that the test code is
        destroyed, except for maybe a printed copy in the employee's file, and
        if he is hired, then he can do it again "for real" once on the job if
        needed. It just avoids any misunderstandings or temptations that way.

        --Kyle Bennett