Question? Is There Any Thought On PAIR MANAGEMENT?

  • Smith, Scott W
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2006
      Good Day Folks,

      "If it is good for the goose, then it is good for the gander", or so the
      saying goes! If that is the case, and if pair programming is good for
      the project/customer/company, then what about PAIR MANAGEMENT?

      They [MANAGEMENT] could work together, get to know more people (so come
      review time that would have a better chance of having the information
      they need), get more visibility on more projects, an they could switch
      just like in pairing. Distribute the knowledge, and get to know other
      areas of the company/enterprise!

      Any pointers or comments on previous post would be appreciated.

      Regards,

      Scott W. Smith Email: scott.w.smith@...
      Boeing Commercial Airplane phone: +1.253.219.1031 (cell)
      M/S 2R-91
      P.O. Box 3707
      Seattle, WA 98124-2207 USA

      "Vendor: ... it's a silver bullet!"
      "Client: Yes, but I don't have a gun the correct size!"
      "Vendor: I can sell you one of those also!
      Scott W. Smith
    • Ken Boucher
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 31, 2006
        > what about PAIR MANAGEMENT?

        What, exactly, do you mean by "management"?

        What activities are done solo by "managers".

        I ask this because we're really low on management. We have people who
        wear additional hats for roles done by traditional management, but
        they're not really "managers".

        For example Doug is a member of the "Office of the CIO" group. A CIO,
        if we had one in the room, would do some valuable things so we have a
        bunch of people who get together on a semi-weekly basis and do those
        things that a CIO (and the people who work with the CIO) would do (as
        well as a bunch of related things).

        So, from a certain perspective we might be saying we have "Group
        Management" (where "group is >1 people" as opposed to "pair is
        roughly 2 people").

        We also have business people. They represent business needs and
        functions. They tend to operate with technical people, testers, or
        other business people as a rule. They don't tend to work in a vacuum.

        I'm not sure if what were doing is what you're thinking of when you
        talk about "pair management" but I'm interested in what tasks
        your "managers" are doing without pairing, consulting, groupthink,
        etc.
      • Edmund Schweppe
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2006
          Smith, Scott W wrote:
          > Good Day Folks,
          >
          > "If it is good for the goose, then it is good for the gander", or so the
          > saying goes! If that is the case, and if pair programming is good for
          > the project/customer/company, then what about PAIR MANAGEMENT?

          I can't find my copy of Collins' and Parras' _Built To Last_, so I can't
          check; but ISTR that they described Motorola as using a three person
          "Office of the CEO" to run the company. In order to ensure that their
          CEOs were accustomed to working together at paired (or tripled)
          management, they extended the concept down through the ranks.

          --
          Edmund Schweppe
          President, Firepool Consulting, Inc.