Announcing Waterfall 2006

  • Mike Cohn
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 26, 2006
      FYI--
      In choosing what conferences to attend this year you may want to
      consider Waterfall 2006. Its website is at

      http://www.waterfall2006.com/

      Planned speakers include many of the popular agile speakers and
      authors who have seen the waterfall light:
      Scott Ambler
      Kent Beck
      Babu Bhatt
      Alistair Cockburn
      Mike Cohn
      Lisa Crispin
      Ward Cunningham
      Esther Derby
      Jutta Eckstein
      Jim Highsmith
      Joshua Kerievsky
      Diana Larsen
      Tim Lister
      Ron Jeffries
      Brian Marick
      Robert C. Martin
      Jeff Patton
      Mary Poppendieck
      Ken Schwaber
      Don Sengroiux
      Jean Tabaka

      Check out www.waterfall2006.com for session descriptions,
      registration and hotel information and make your plans to attend now.

      --Mike
    • Ian Collins
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 26, 2006
        Mike Cohn wrote:

        >FYI--
        >In choosing what conferences to attend this year you may want to
        >consider Waterfall 2006. Its website is at
        >
        >http://www.waterfall2006.com/

        Great, just what I needed to start the day :)

        Ian
      • Michael Spayd
        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 26, 2006
          Cohn, you evil, evil man!! :-)

          Nicely done!

          --
          Michael K. Spayd
          COGILITY, LLC

          On 1/26/06, Mike Cohn <mike@...> wrote:

          > FYI--
          > In choosing what conferences to attend this year you may want to
          > consider Waterfall 2006. Its website is at
          >
          > http://www.waterfall2006.com/
          >
          > Planned speakers include many of the popular agile speakers and
          > authors who have seen the waterfall light:
          > Scott Ambler
          > Kent Beck
          > Babu Bhatt
          > Alistair Cockburn
          > Mike Cohn
          > Lisa Crispin
          > Ward Cunningham
          > Esther Derby
          > Jutta Eckstein
          > Jim Highsmith
          > Joshua Kerievsky
          > Diana Larsen
          > Tim Lister
          > Ron Jeffries
          > Brian Marick
          > Robert C. Martin
          > Jeff Patton
          > Mary Poppendieck
          > Ken Schwaber
          > Don Sengroiux
          > Jean Tabaka
          >
          > Check out www.waterfall2006.com for session descriptions,
          > registration and hotel information and make your plans to attend now.
          >
          > --Mike

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Jeff Langr
          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 26, 2006
            Pretty cool. I'm making plans to attend. I figure I'll be making plans
            to attend well past the conference date itself.

            Jeff

            --
            Langr Software Solutions
            http://langrsoft.com

            Mike Cohn wrote:

            >FYI--
            >In choosing what conferences to attend this year you may want to
            >consider Waterfall 2006. Its website is at
            >
            >http://www.waterfall2006.com/
            >
            >Planned speakers include many of the popular agile speakers and
            >authors who have seen the waterfall light:
            >Scott Ambler
            >Kent Beck
            >Babu Bhatt
            >Alistair Cockburn
            >Mike Cohn
            >Lisa Crispin
            >Ward Cunningham
            >Esther Derby
            >Jutta Eckstein
            >Jim Highsmith
            >Joshua Kerievsky
            >Diana Larsen
            >Tim Lister
            >Ron Jeffries
            >Brian Marick
            >Robert C. Martin
            >Jeff Patton
            >Mary Poppendieck
            >Ken Schwaber
            >Don Sengroiux
            >Jean Tabaka
            >
            >Check out www.waterfall2006.com for session descriptions,
            >registration and hotel information and make your plans to attend now.

          • Thiago Arrais
            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 26, 2006
              Very good!

              Thiago Arrais
            • Paolo "Nusco" Perrotta
              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 26, 2006
                Cool! I'm working on a paper about planning for next year's conference.
                According to my GANTT, I should be out of analysis and ready to write
                the first sentence within a few months.

                Writing should take... wait... 5000 words... 2 days, I think. If I don't
                have enough time left, I'll just hire 3 other writers and I should be
                done in a single morning.

                Of course I'll verify the theory before publishing.

                Paolo Perrotta
                Bologna, Italy
              • Brad Appleton
                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 26, 2006
                  I dont care if it's for real or not! So long as Tyra Banks shows up to
                  give the Supermodel-Driven Architecture workshop on "big up-front"
                  supermodel architectures, you can count me in ;-). [I cant wait to get
                  to the part where we pair and refactor and test]

                  Paolo "Nusco" Perrotta wrote:
                  > Cool! I'm working on a paper about planning for next year's conference.
                  > According to my GANTT, I should be out of analysis and ready to write
                  > the first sentence within a few months.
                  >
                  > Writing should take... wait... 5000 words... 2 days, I think. If I don't
                  > have enough time left, I'll just hire 3 other writers and I should be
                  > done in a single morning.
                  >
                  > Of course I'll verify the theory before publishing.
                  >
                  > Paolo Perrotta
                  > Bologna, Italy

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  "And miles to go before I sleep" --Robert Frost
                • Mike Cohn
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 26, 2006
                    I believe that 5000 writers could each write one word and you'd be
                    done much more quickly.

                    Regards,
                    Mike Cohn
                    Author:
                    Agile Estimating and Planning
                    User Stories Applied
                    www.mountaingoatsoftware.com

                    On Jan 26, 2006, at 6:42 PM, Paolo "Nusco" Perrotta wrote:

                    > Cool! I'm working on a paper about planning for next year's
                    > conference.
                    > According to my GANTT, I should be out of analysis and ready to write
                    > the first sentence within a few months.
                    >
                    > Writing should take... wait... 5000 words... 2 days, I think. If I
                    > don't
                    > have enough time left, I'll just hire 3 other writers and I should be
                    > done in a single morning.
                    >
                    > Of course I'll verify the theory before publishing.
                    >
                    > Paolo Perrotta
                    > Bologna, Italy

                    > unsubscribe@...
                    >
                    > ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com
                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Dave Rooney
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jan 26, 2006
                      I tried to register but my credit card was rejected... it's expiry date
                      was in the future. ;)

                      Dave Rooney
                      Mayford Technologies
                      http://www.mayford.ca

                      --
                      Dave Rooney
                      Principal Consultant
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jan 26, 2006
                        Very cool... I'm definitely going... perhaps I could hand out badges that
                        say "Don't Ask Me," and do the upfront requirements and analysis for a
                        *really* cool newsletter...

                        Kay Pentecost

                        Message 11 of 23 , Jan 27, 2006
                          On Thursday, January 26, 2006, at 3:53:02 PM, Mike Cohn wrote:

                          > FYI--
                          > In choosing what conferences to attend this year you may want to
                          > consider Waterfall 2006. Its website is at

                          > http://www.waterfall2006.com/

                          Based on the requirements and design documents I've seen, even in
                          their current draft form, this is going to be the best conference of
                          the century, whether it is ready as scheduled or not. (Keep an eye
                          on the site for adjusted schedule. There should be no need to check
                          larger integers than 2006 until further notice.)

                          I am proud to have an opportunity to offer a keynote address at this
                          conference, and have just submitted a precis of my planned remarks
                          to the Waterfall2006 site.

                          As all here know, I've been a camp follower in every hot new
                          software approach and I'm proud to get back to the basics I learned
                          at the feet etc., of my early masters, such as Commander Grace
                          Hopper and John von Neumann. It may be best not to mention the feet
                          of my dear colleague Alan Turing, but I certainly must offer credit
                          to my personal favorite mentor, Countess of Lovelace, Ada Byron
                          King, with whom I spent many an enjoyable hour. She was quite the
                          taskmistress ... but I digress. More of that anon, perhaps.

                          Based on the plans so far, this is going to be an excellent
                          conference when it ships, and I'm proud to be a part of it.

                          If another does not intend offense, it is wrong for me to seek it;
                          if another does indeed intend offense, it is foolish for me to permit it.
                          -- Kelly Easterley
                        • James Grenning
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jan 27, 2006
                            Great idea Kay. I'd add: "Don't ask me - read the spec"

                            --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Kay A. Pentecost"
                            <kayp@i...> wrote:

                            > Very cool... I'm definitely going... perhaps I could hand out badges
                            that
                            > say "Don't Ask Me," and do the upfront requirements and analysis for a
                            > *really* cool newsletter...
                            >
                            > Kay Pentecost

                          • Walter Fettich
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jan 27, 2006
                              How about:

                              "Creative Versioning Systems: Let everyone express their unique personality
                              with their own code base."
                              and
                              "My Way should be Everyone's Way: Why dialog can endager imagination."

                              > Great idea Kay. I'd add: "Don't ask me - read the spec"
                              >
                              > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Kay A. Pentecost"
                              > <kayp@i...> wrote:
                              >>
                              >> Very cool... I'm definitely going... perhaps I could hand out badges
                              > that
                              >> say "Don't Ask Me," and do the upfront requirements and analysis for a
                              >> *really* cool newsletter...
                              >>
                              >> Kay Pentecost

                            • Walter Fettich
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jan 27, 2006
                                Or a

                                Telepathy and clairvoyance workshop: Risk management for professionals.
                              • William Pietri
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jan 27, 2006
                                  Walter Fettich wrote:
                                  > Or a
                                  >
                                  > Telepathy and clairvoyance workshop: Risk management for professionals.

                                  No need to announce the BOF session, though. The right people will just
                                  know when and where to turn up.

                                  William
                                • Kay A. Pentecost
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jan 27, 2006

                                    I'm not sure about that.

                                    We're scheduled for six days of testing just before the conference, aren't
                                    we?... but that's assuming the code is complete and specifications are
                                    "frozen."

                                    Since programmers can't stop coding just so the code can be frozen for the
                                    tester, we can just branch to another conference while we're making sure
                                    that everything is tested for the release...

                                    I just want to make sure everyone is on the same page before we do something
                                    permanent like actually meeting...

                                    Kay
                                  • Adam Wildavsky
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jan 27, 2006
                                      Just when you thought it was safe...

                                      --
                                      Adam Wildavsky adam@... http://www.tameware.com
                                    • Dave Rooney
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jan 28, 2006
                                        Mike (and your unnamed accomplices),

                                        The conference site is really cool... I especially like the picture of
                                        Alistair's evil twin. Obviously, you did a lot of work on it and it
                                        wasn't something you did in an hour or two!

                                        All kidding aside, a lot of the material on the site could be used as
                                        tongue-in-cheek teaching materials. I have an image in my mind of 3/4
                                        of a room of people rolling in the aisles laughing, while the rest don't
                                        understand what's so funny... of course you need Document-driven
                                        Documentation!

                                        Dave Rooney
                                        Mayford Technologies
                                        http://www.mayford.ca

                                        --
                                        Dave Rooney
                                        Principal Consultant
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jan 28, 2006
                                          Ron Jeffries wrote:

                                          > Based on the plans so far, this is going to be an excellent
                                          > conference when it ships, and I'm proud to be a part of it.

                                          Perhaps, as part of the marketing for Waterfall 2006, and in honor of
                                          the fate of typical waterfall ship dates, the local Niagara Falls
                                          tourist boats can be temporarily renamed "Maid of the Missed" ...

                                          --
                                          Edmund Schweppe
                                          President, Firepool Consulting, Inc.
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jan 28, 2006
                                            Dave Rooney wrote:
                                            > Mike (and your unnamed accomplices),
                                            >
                                            > The conference site is really cool... I especially like the picture of
                                            > Alistair's evil twin. Obviously, you did a lot of work on it and it
                                            > wasn't something you did in an hour or two!

                                            Oh, I don't know; how much work could it be to catch Alistair early in
                                            the morning, before either ablutions or coffee?

                                            > All kidding aside, a lot of the material on the site could be used as
                                            > tongue-in-cheek teaching materials. I have an image in my mind of 3/4
                                            > of a room of people rolling in the aisles laughing, while the rest don't
                                            > understand what's so funny... of course you need Document-driven
                                            > Documentation!

                                            My first reaction to the writeup of WordUnit was that it would be a
                                            great tool for essayists, novelists, journalists and anybody else who
                                            wanted an automatic way to ensure that they'd covered certain material
                                            in their writing.

                                            Leave it to Kent to come up with a great idea in the midst of a joke
                                            website...

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jan 28, 2006

                                              It was a *joke*?? Oh noooooooooooooooo.........

                                              broken hearted,

                                              Kay
                                            • Jim Standley
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Jan 30, 2006
                                                I sent this to my managers. They said let them know when the
                                                registration page is up, they'll send me.

                                                Kay A. Pentecost wrote:

> [...]
                                              • Kevin Wheatley
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Feb 1 3:06 AM
                                                  Jim Standley wrote:
                                                  > I sent this to my managers. They said let them know when the
                                                  > registration page is up, they'll send me.

                                                  Don't worry, just use it as a go-to-a-conference-free card by telling
                                                  them that the conference managers decided to celebrate their success
                                                  by changing the name, date and venue to something else.

                                                  Kevin

                                                  --
                                                  | Kevin Wheatley, Cinesite (Europe) Ltd | Nobody thinks this |
                                                  | Senior Technology | My employer for certain |