[extremeprogramming] Re: Is XP useful in conversion projects

  • Don Wells
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2000
      From: Palani <palanip@...>
      >Did your team use any tools? If yes what was user experience?
      >Did you convert the domain first, test it on the functional tests in the
      new
      >system and then convert the GUI?

      We created the serializtion code at the same time the data model was being
      rewritten. We converted the functional tests and ran them in the new system
      after it had been built up a ways, but before it was complete. This tested
      the domain model in our new system. We then began to move data. Because we
      redesigned our data representation it was non-trivial to move the data. Our
      system consisted of a data load step and a reporting step. By running the
      data load portion of the functional tests in the old system, then using the
      serializtion code, then finishing the reporting portion of the functional
      tests in the new system the serialization was tested. The GUI itself was
      designed to be trivial and used the same code as the reports to manipulate
      the domain model, so the GUI was tested that way as well (at least in the
      more important aspects like are these numbers correct.)

      We were using Smalltalk and GemStone which are very robust with lots of
      built in tools and we created our own tools as we needed them. The users
      never got to see much of the funtional tests running because we ran them and
      maintained them ourselves, which was a mistake (more about that at
      http://www.extremeprogramming.org/stories/functionaltests2.html). But they
      did notice the impact they had on the system
      (http://www.extremeprogramming.org/stories/functionaltests.html) and
      encouraged us to expand them.

      Don Wells