RE: [XP] Re: XP and Outsourcing - remote pairing

  • Kent Beck
    Message 1 of 31 , Jan 12, 2006
      On JUnit we use remote pairing to get work done. We spend around 50% of our
      development time paired (tripled, actually, since David Saff joined us). It
      works for us. On my commercial programming project we pair remotely once a
      week, mostly for architectural development and teaching.

      Kent Beck
      Three Rivers Institute

      P.S. We use VNC and Skype. I really appreciate the high-quality audio
      available over Skype. Going back to a regular phone is a let-down now.

    • Cory Foy
      Message 31 of 31 , Jan 20, 2006
        Keith Braithwaite wrote:
        > Will a single-site team be more productive? Almost certainly, as far
        > as your local customers are concerned. And as long as you can bear to
        > have someone else's lesser distributed productivity cosying up to your
        > potential customers in Jo-burg and Sydney and Aukland and Rio and
        > Delhi and HK and KL and...so on, then by all means remain on your
        > highly productive single site. Oooh, is that a single-site team's
        > lunch I see coming my way?

        Currently I'm working on a project where the development team is local,
        and the customers are remote. We meet with them regularly via Video
        Conference.

        But, I've noticed that the Mean Time to Answer is greatly reduced. For
        example, right behind where we are pairing is a team working on a
        component that we are using. When we have a question, we spin around and
        ask them. If we have a question for our customer, we're more likely to
        make an assumption for the short term.

        So, I would think that having a team local might work out pretty nicely
        so that we have a local technical expert who can then directly work with
        the customer.

        Cory