[extremeprogramming] Re: Is XP useful in conversion projects

  • Palani
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 31, 2000
      Don,
      Thanks.
      Did your team use any tools? If yes what was user experience?
      Did you convert the domain first, test it on the functional tests in the new
      system and then convert the GUI?

      Go Smalltalk & XP
      Palani.

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1, 2000
        From: Palani <palanip@...>
        >Did your team use any tools? If yes what was user experience?
        >Did you convert the domain first, test it on the functional tests in the
        new
        >system and then convert the GUI?

        We created the serializtion code at the same time the data model was being
        rewritten. We converted the functional tests and ran them in the new system
        after it had been built up a ways, but before it was complete. This tested
        the domain model in our new system. We then began to move data. Because we
        redesigned our data representation it was non-trivial to move the data. Our
        system consisted of a data load step and a reporting step. By running the
        data load portion of the functional tests in the old system, then using the
        serializtion code, then finishing the reporting portion of the functional
        tests in the new system the serialization was tested. The GUI itself was
        designed to be trivial and used the same code as the reports to manipulate
        the domain model, so the GUI was tested that way as well (at least in the
        more important aspects like are these numbers correct.)

        We were using Smalltalk and GemStone which are very robust with lots of
        built in tools and we created our own tools as we needed them. The users
        never got to see much of the funtional tests running because we ran them and
        maintained them ourselves, which was a mistake (more about that at
        http://www.extremeprogramming.org/stories/functionaltests2.html). But they
        did notice the impact they had on the system
        (http://www.extremeprogramming.org/stories/functionaltests.html) and
        encouraged us to expand them.

        Don Wells