Re: [XP] Introducing XP at My Workplace: A Turn for the Worse

  • William Pietri
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 3, 2006
      Hi, Robert! Returning from the holidays, I'm sorry to hear of your
      troubles, but it sounds like you're dealing quite well. One comment.

      Robert Williams wrote:

      >1. Unreasonable schedules and schedule changes, which I should deal
      >with by trying to cut features/scope and defend through a good set of
      >estimates.

      It may help you to get through this to realize that unreasonable
      behaviors are often reasonable responses to unreasonable situations. Put
      another way, managers who schedule unreasonably aren't all naturally
      crazy. They've learned those behaviors in response to the flawed
      traditional model of software project management.

      One of my favorite things about adopting agile methods is that short,
      frequent iterations give all parties plenty of opportunity to learn how
      to act more sanely, and set things up so they are rewarded for doing so.
      You may not see much improvement right away, but sanity is contagious.

      William