Re: [XP] agile struts

  • Manlio Malaidini
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3 5:12 AM
      On 1/2/06, Paul Beckford <beckfordp@...> wrote:

      > I've worked with struts using pico-container. Basically each action
      > becomes a component that has it's service (domain) dependency injected.
      > Worked quite well. To do this I think we replaced the request processor
      > in struts with one that integrates with pico-container.

      Really interesting. Which kind of result have you gained that was impossible
      or difficult without an IoC container?

      I can't remember
      > the details, as most of the low level plumbing was performed by a
      > consultant from ThoughtWorks. Perhaps if you look on the ThoughtWorks
      > website they may provide an example.

      I've tried, but I've found nothing. If somebody from TW may share some
      insight it would be great.

      Once we had de-coupled the StrutsActions in this way we used JMock to
      > mock dependencies, and wrote the action code using JUnit and TDD. From
      > what I remember we had to leave things like the testing of struts
      > validations to the acceptance tests. For acceptance testing WATIR works
      > well for any webapp on IE. Some people prefer using FIT which also has
      > extensions for web applications.

      Yes, I understand, I would go with WATIR in my case.

      BTW I've heard that Struts will be joining with Webwork. Webwork has IoC
      > built in. There may be guidelines on how to migrate old struts to the
      > new Struts/Webwork. That may be a good place to start.

      I don't know Webwork, I'll take a look.
      Thanks a lot.
      MM