"Niko-Niko" Calendar, feedback of team mood

  • Kenji HIRANABE
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2006
      Hello,

      My friend just start up a web-site of his new practice,
      called "Niko-Niko Calendar."

      http://www.geocities.jp/nikonikocalendar/index_en.html

      "Niko-Niko" means a Smile or Smily in Japanese.
      His project uses this calendar as a mood watcher.

      This catches signs of the abnormal state of the team
      before they go into a really bad situation.

      His company incorporates TPS in their production, development,
      and other organizations.

      Interesting.

      -Kenji
    • Jeff Grigg
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 3, 2006
        --- Kenji HIRANABE <hiranabe@e...> wrote:
        > My friend just start up a web-site of his new practice,
        > called "Niko-Niko Calendar."
        > http://www.geocities.jp/nikonikocalendar/index_en.html
        > Interesting.

        Yes; interesting.

        One would have to figure out which color coding to use:

        Yellow = Happy; Red = Neutral; Blue = Sad
        (having "the blues?" ;-)

        - vs -

        Blue [or Green?] = Happy; Yellow = Neutral; Red = Sad/Mad/Unhappy

        _ _ _

        Also, I might fear *the moment* any of this showed its face in a
        performance review -- to the tune of, "You're such a problem, Joe;
        can't you see how you're dragging the team down by being so
        negative?" I can see how the trust and honesty of the situation
        could be lost very quickly and easily.
      • sakata_akinori
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 6, 2006
          Hello.

          I am Sakata Akinori.

          http://www.geocities.jp/nikonikocalendar/index_en.html

          I wrote this page.

          I am glad to receive feedback.

          I think that it is important to obtain all of members' mutual
          agreement. I think that you may use what coloring if mutual
          agreement is obtained. I think same coloring to only have to be done
          in the team.

          I think that the principle in the team that praises pasting the
          truth is necessary. And, I think that the principle of helping the
          person who suffers at any time is also necessary.
          Tell the truth.

          Do not keep a secret.
          Each other must be helping.

          As a result, the mood of the team will not worsen even if what color
          is pasted if these customs are in the team.

          I am very glad to receive feedback.

          Akinori

          --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Grigg"
          <jeffgrigg@c...> wrote:

          > --- Kenji HIRANABE <hiranabe@e...> wrote:
          > > My friend just start up a web-site of his new practice,
          > > called "Niko-Niko Calendar."
          > > http://www.geocities.jp/nikonikocalendar/index_en.html
          > > Interesting.
          >
          > Yes; interesting.
          >
          > One would have to figure out which color coding to use:
          >
          > Yellow = Happy; Red = Neutral; Blue = Sad
          > (having "the blues?" ;-)
          >
          > - vs -
          >
          > Blue [or Green?] = Happy; Yellow = Neutral; Red = Sad/Mad/Unhappy
          >
          > _ _ _
          >

          > Also, I might fear *the moment* any of this showed its face in a
          > performance review -- to the tune of, "You're such a problem, Joe;
          > can't you see how you're dragging the team down by being so
          > negative?" I can see how the trust and honesty of the situation
          > could be lost very quickly and easily.

        • Ilja Preuss
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 13, 2006
            >> My friend just start up a web-site of his new practice, called
            >> "Niko-Niko Calendar."
            >> http://www.geocities.jp/nikonikocalendar/index_en.html Interesting.
            >
            > Yes; interesting.

            Interesting indeed. I'd wonder, though, why those things aren't noticed in
            the Stand Up meeting...

            Cheers, Ilja
          • sakata_akinori
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 13, 2006
              > Interesting indeed. I'd wonder, though, why those things aren't
              noticed in
              > the Stand Up meeting...

              Though it thinks
              We do not essentially notice it easily.
              And, it is easy to forget it of yesterday.
              Therefore, I do not think that it notices the change easily.

              SAKATA Akinori
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 14, 2006
                On Saturday, January 14, 2006, at 1:48:01 AM, sakata_akinori wrote:

                >> Interesting indeed. I'd wonder, though, why those things aren't
                > noticed in
                >> the Stand Up meeting...

                > Though it thinks
                > We do not essentially notice it easily.
                > And, it is easy to forget it of yesterday.
                > Therefore, I do not think that it notices the change easily.

                And ... often we have been taught to hide our feelings. Putting a
                sticker on the calendar would serve both as an invitation to share,
                and a way to do so that wouldn't require one to say much about why
                one felt that way.

                I can imagine it working. It might also be fun and useful to look
                for trends.

                He who will not apply new remedies must expect old evils. -- Francis Bacon
              • Ilja Preuss
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 16, 2006
                  extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                  > On Saturday, January 14, 2006, at 1:48:01 AM, sakata_akinori wrote:
                  >
                  >>> Interesting indeed. I'd wonder, though, why those things aren't
                  >>> noticed in the Stand Up meeting...
                  >
                  >> Though it thinks
                  >> We do not essentially notice it easily.
                  >> And, it is easy to forget it of yesterday.
                  >> Therefore, I do not think that it notices the change easily.
                  >
                  > And ... often we have been taught to hide our feelings.
                  > Putting a sticker on the calendar would serve both as an
                  > invitation to share, and a way to do so that wouldn't require
                  > one to say much about why one felt that way.
                  > I can imagine it working. It might also be fun and useful to look for
                  > trends.

                  I'm sorry if the above sounded overly sceptic. I certainly can see it work
                  and being fun.

                  I guess what I basically wanted to say was that I'd additionally hope that
                  the "invitation" part of the calendar could lead to a team culture in which
                  the calendar would be less and less necessary over time.

                  But I'm seriously considering proposing it to my team.

                  Cheers, Ilja
                • kenjihiranabe
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 1, 2006
                    Hello,

                    Akiyah, a friend of mine, set up a portal site of "Niko-Niko
                    Calendar."
                    http://akiyah.bglb.jp/software/NikoNikoCalendarPortal/

                    This site gathers smilies in your blog entry title as a mood watcher,
                    and put the marks on a calendar.

                    This can be "MIERU-KA"(Japanese key word for visualization) of
                    worldwide XP bloggers' mood.

                    Want to join us ?

                    ---
                    Kenji HIRANABE
                    Japanese translator of "XP Installed", "Lean Software Development" and
                    "Agile Project Management"

                    JUDE: A Unique UML and Mind Mapping Tool
                    http://www.esm.jp/jude-web/index.html

                    --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Ilja Preuss" <preuss@...>