Re: [XP] New practice: Slack

  • Dominic Williams
    Message 1 of 110 , Jan 2, 2006
      Whither William Wake wisely wrote :

      > I take slack as suggesting to them: commit to a level of story work
      > you can sustain, but leave room for the housekeeping side. I see it as
      > a cushion to protect your long-term productivity.

      What counts as housekeeping?

      Why do we need to "leave room" for it, as opposed to doing it and
      measuring Velocity?

      Regards,

      Dominic Williams
      http://www.dominicwilliams.net

      ----
    • Paul Beckford
      Message 110 of 110 , Feb 12, 2006
        Victor wrote:

        > I think this is a serious social
        >issue that needs to be confronted by society as a whole at the educational
        >level. Honesty can be tough to maintain in an environment that values
        >denial and unrealistic expectations, but in final account it's the best
        >policy.
        >
        >Victor

        Hi Victor,

        I totally agree. I am a European too (I live and work in the UK), and
        I've also worked in the States, and there is a cultural difference (by
        and large I find both the UK and the US very similiar though). I think
        it has something to do with the perception of science in the west and
        the role of the scientific expert. Earlier in this thread (way back)
        someone made a similar point about Doctors in the west not being able to
        say that they don't know, and presumeably experiencing emotions of guilt
        when they truly do not know.

        In software I think it is about organisational culture, and I have
        experienced cultural change by simply telling people I do not know. At
        first they are shocked, but once you encourage them to take the second
        person perspective (seeing things from your point of view), they quickly
        realise that this is the only honest answer and they respect you for it.

        With regards to the long term, many people in the west no longer trust
        Doctors and are increasingly looking to "alternative medicine". In
        China this seems to be less of an issue, as Chinese doctors are more
        willing to use approaches that aren't strictly "scientific". Maybe this
        is a tacit admission that as Doctors they do not always know the
        precise casual basis for illness and maybe as a consequence of this
        tacit admission people in China tend to trust them more.

        Just a thought.

        Paul.