Re: [XP] Introducing XP at My Workplace: A Turn for the Worse

  • Robert Williams
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 1, 2006
      >>that's an indication to throw out anything that you have in terms of a
      >>project and start over - take a day or two, start fresh, and solve the
      >>problem at hand as opposed to the problem that had been scheduled. I hope

      Well, I didn't wind up having to throw /everything/ out. But we did
      wind up ripping out most of it. And the parts we kept, we refactored to
      the point that it will be easy if and when we need to add those pieces
      back in.

      Thanks again for all the advice.

      Robert
    • William Pietri
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 3, 2006
        Hi, Robert! Returning from the holidays, I'm sorry to hear of your
        troubles, but it sounds like you're dealing quite well. One comment.

        Robert Williams wrote:

        >1. Unreasonable schedules and schedule changes, which I should deal
        >with by trying to cut features/scope and defend through a good set of
        >estimates.

        It may help you to get through this to realize that unreasonable
        behaviors are often reasonable responses to unreasonable situations. Put
        another way, managers who schedule unreasonably aren't all naturally
        crazy. They've learned those behaviors in response to the flawed
        traditional model of software project management.

        One of my favorite things about adopting agile methods is that short,
        frequent iterations give all parties plenty of opportunity to learn how
        to act more sanely, and set things up so they are rewarded for doing so.
        You may not see much improvement right away, but sanity is contagious.

        William