Sortable Post-It Cards

  • John Brewer
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 30, 2005
      I just ran accross a new technology that may well revolutioniize the
      way we do XP:

      Sortable Post-It Cards

      http://www.3m.com/us/office/postit/products/prod_cards_sort.html

      Shuffle them around like a card, then stick them to the wall like a post-it.

      --
      John Brewer

      Extreme Programming FAQ: http://www.jera.com/techinfo/xpfaq.html
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 30, 2005
        On Friday, December 30, 2005, at 7:40:09 PM, John Brewer wrote:

        > Sortable Post-It Cards

        Neat ... wonder how late Staples is open ...

        How do I know what I think until I hear what I say? -- E M Forster
      • Adam Wildavsky
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 30, 2005
          At 4:40 PM -0800 12/30/05, John Brewer wrote:
          >Shuffle them around like a card, then stick them to the wall like a post-it.

          Sounds good to me. I thought you were going to suggest using a
          keypunch machine and a card sorter!

          --
          Adam Wildavsky adam@... http://www.tameware.com
        • William Pietri
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 30, 2005
            John Brewer wrote:

            >I just ran accross a new technology that may well revolutioniize the
            >way we do XP:
            >
            >Sortable Post-It Cards
            >
            >http://www.3m.com/us/office/postit/products/prod_cards_sort.html
            >
            >Shuffle them around like a card, then stick them to the wall like a post-it.

            Does anybody know where to buy these? I couldn't find them on
            officedepot.com, officemax.com, shopping.com, or Froogle.

            William
          • David Vydra
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 30, 2005
              John,

              Very cool. Now all thats left is to work on my handwriting.

              -d

            • Jon Agiato
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 31, 2005
                I haven't checked but you might want to try www.staples.com. Hope this
                helps.

                Jon Agiato MS, MCAD.NET
                Jon@...
                http://www.agiato.net

                >I just ran accross a new technology that may well revolutioniize the
                >way we do XP:
                >
                >Sortable Post-It Cards
                >
                >http://www.3m.com/us/office/postit/products/prod_cards_sort.html
                >
                >Shuffle them around like a card, then stick them to the wall like a
                post-it.

                Does anybody know where to buy these? I couldn't find them on
                officedepot.com, officemax.com, shopping.com, or Froogle.

                William

                ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com
                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Michael Campbell
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 31, 2005
                  On 12/30/05, John Brewer <jbrewer@...> wrote:
                  > I just ran accross a new technology that may well revolutioniize the
                  > way we do XP:
                  >
                  > Sortable Post-It Cards
                  >
                  > http://www.3m.com/us/office/postit/products/prod_cards_sort.html

                  I don't get it; how do you sort them? I don't see what mechanics lay
                  behind them...

                  --

                  Furious activity is no substitute for understanding. -- H. H. Williams
                • Dave Rooney
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 31, 2005
                    Michael Campbell wrote:
                    > On 12/30/05, John Brewer <jbrewer@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> I just ran accross a new technology that may well revolutioniize the
                    >> way we do XP:
                    >>
                    >> Sortable Post-It Cards
                    >>
                    >> http://www.3m.com/us/office/postit/products/prod_cards_sort.html
                    >>

                    > I don't get it; how do you sort them? I don't see what mechanics lay
                    > behind them...

                    Unlike regular Post-it's, the don't stick to each other. Unlike index
                    cards, they do stick to a wall. You can (manually) sort them, and stick
                    them up afterwards. Best of both worlds!

                    Dave Rooney
                    Mayford Technologies
                    http://www.mayford.ca
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 31, 2005
                      On Saturday, December 31, 2005, at 12:18:21 PM, Michael Campbell wrote:

                      > I don't get it; how do you sort them? I don't see what mechanics lay
                      > behind them...

                      They are cards. You can sort them like cards, I imagine.

                      Questioner: How do I sell my executive team on doing this stuff?
                      Jim Highsmith: Don't. Just do it. They don't know what you're doing anyway.
                    • Michael Campbell
                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 31, 2005
                        > On Saturday, December 31, 2005, at 12:18:21 PM, Michael Campbell wrote:
                        >
                        > > I don't get it; how do you sort them? I don't see what mechanics lay
                        > > behind them...
                        >
                        > They are cards. You can sort them like cards, I imagine.

                        Ah, so there's nothing about them that makes them INHERENTLY sortable,
                        say, over a run 'o the mill 3x5 card. I figured each one was cut a
                        slightly different height or something to make sorting them easier.
                        But then I wondered how that would make sorting them easier.

                        That seems like dubious advertising to me.

                        --
                        The people I distrust most are those who want to improve our lives but
                        have only one course of action. -- Frank Herbert
                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 31, 2005
                          On 12/31/05, Michael Campbell <michael.campbell@...> wrote:
                          > That seems like dubious advertising to me.

                          Ever try to sort a stack of regular Post-Its?

                          --
                          John Brewer

                          Extreme Programming FAQ: http://www.jera.com/techinfo/xpfaq.html
                        • Amir Kolsky
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 1, 2006
                            Not so dubious... You can sort index cards, you can't sort post-its. Now you
                            can. Hence, they are sortable...

                            Amir Kolsky
                            XP& Software

                          • William Wake
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 2, 2006
                              On 12/31/05, William Pietri <william@...> wrote:
                              > Does anybody know where to buy these? I couldn't find them on
                              > officedepot.com, officemax.com, shopping.com, or Froogle.

                              I emailed 3M and got this response:

                              "Dear Bill,

                              Thank you for contacting 3M Company.

                              Post-it(R) Products can be found in office supply stores and in the school
                              or office supply section of many retail stores. You may also be able to
                              order Post-it(R) Products on-line from your favorite office supply web
                              site. If a dealer or distributor doesn't stock the product you need
                              routinely, you can ask them to special order it. This product is very new
                              and you may wish to check Target. Hope this information is helpful.

                              Happy New Year!
                              Sincerely,
                              Liz
                              3M Office Supplies Division

                              http://www.post-it.com"

                              --
                              Bill Wake William.Wake@... www.xp123.com
                            • bigalla
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 10, 2006
                                --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Amir Kolsky" <kolsky@a...>
                                wrote:

                                > Not so dubious... You can sort index cards, you can't sort post-its.
                                Now you
                                > can. Hence, they are sortable...
                                >
                                > Amir Kolsky
                                > XP& Software

                                I use the "Super-Sticky" Post-Its for stories, and sort them nearly
                                every day, so, of course, they ARE sortable.

                                You just can't use the same technique as you would when sorting index
                                cards, i.e. stacking them. It works more like those tile puzzles,
                                where you have them all laid out in front of you on some backing, and
                                you move them only in 2 dimensions, staying on the same plane all the
                                other stickies occupy.

                                I'll definitely be checking out this new sortable card product.

                                AlistairD
                              • William Pietri
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jan 12, 2006
                                  John Brewer wrote:

                                  >I just ran accross a new technology that may well revolutioniize the
                                  >way we do XP:
                                  >
                                  >Sortable Post-It Cards
                                  >
                                  >http://www.3m.com/us/office/postit/products/prod_cards_sort.html
                                  >
                                  >Shuffle them around like a card, then stick them to the wall like a post-it.

                                  For anybody who has touched these, could they send me a 3M product ID
                                  number or a UPC number? OfficeMax denies all knowledge. And not just
                                  knowledge about these; they seem to categorically deny the existence of
                                  knowledge.

                                  Thanks,

                                  William
                                • William Wake
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jan 12, 2006
                                    Lime lined pack of 60 - "Post-it(r) Brand Sortable Cards" - has a
                                    barcode "21200 47303" for the 2-7/8 x 4-7/8 size (handy size huh? :(
                                    There's also a notation above the barcode "Cat. 735AL".

                                    Burgundy Lined pack of 80 - 3-7/8 x 4-7/8 (where do they get these?) -
                                    barcode "51131 93600" and "Cat. 745BY".

                                    I got mine last weekend... at OfficeMax. :) Haven't done anything
                                    with them except verify they can stick to a wall.

                                    --Bill

                                    --
                                    Bill Wake William.Wake@... www.xp123.com
                                  • J. B. Rainsberger
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jan 12, 2006
                                      William Wake wrote:

                                      > Lime lined pack of 60 - "Post-it(r) Brand Sortable Cards" - has a
                                      > barcode "21200 47303" for the 2-7/8 x 4-7/8 size (handy size huh? :(
                                      > There's also a notation above the barcode "Cat. 735AL".
                                      >
                                      > Burgundy Lined pack of 80 - 3-7/8 x 4-7/8 (where do they get these?) -
                                      > barcode "51131 93600" and "Cat. 745BY".
                                      >
                                      > I got mine last weekend... at OfficeMax. :) Haven't done anything
                                      > with them except verify they can stick to a wall.

                                      Grr.... I can't find them at staples.ca yet.

                                      Now what am I going to do with all those 3-by-5 Post-Its?!!
                                      --
                                      J. B. (Joe) Rainsberger :: http://www.jbrains.info
                                      Your guide to software craftsmanship
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jan 13, 2006
                                        William Wake wrote:
                                        > Lime lined pack of 60 - "Post-it(r) Brand Sortable Cards" - has a
                                        > barcode "21200 47303" for the 2-7/8 x 4-7/8 size (handy size huh? :(
                                        > There's also a notation above the barcode "Cat. 735AL".
                                        >
                                        > Burgundy Lined pack of 80 - 3-7/8 x 4-7/8 (where do they get these?) -
                                        > barcode "51131 93600" and "Cat. 745BY".
                                        >
                                        > I got mine last weekend... at OfficeMax. :) Haven't done anything
                                        > with them except verify they can stick to a wall.

                                        Ok! The OfficeMax product numbers are 21016348 and 21015722. They are
                                        available in-store only, and cannot be purchased via the web or by
                                        telephone. Why, I dunno. With those numbers you can call your local
                                        store and see if they have any in stock. Good hunting to all!

                                        William
                                      • Bill Rutiser
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jan 13, 2006
                                          I found them at Office Depot. They were shelved with index cards and not
                                          with Post-It notes.

                                          Bill Rutiser
                                          Gaithersburg, MD, US