RE: [XP] Early stage experince reports?

  • Kenig, Neil
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 23, 2005
      The transition can be difficult, even with buy-in. One trick is to get
      people to agree to buy-in for a specified period of time, say a month or
      two. This way when objections arise you can say "you agreed to try this
      for two months, so let's give it all that we've got for that time and
      then see if you still feel the same way." The fly in this ointment is
      if you're working with legacy code. In this case, you'll probably spend
      a disproportionate amount of time writing test fixtures in the beginning
      and two months might not be enough time.

      As for "anti-patterns", they run the gamut. Most people are reluctant
      to change to some degree or another. If people are satisfied with the
      status quo, reluctance will be higher. "But we've always done it this
      way." "That will never work." "If it ain't broke don't fix it." That's
      why I recommend the approach above. If people see a potential end, they
      feel less threatened.

      Attention: PRICE Systems, L.L.C. maintains a safe computing environment but accepts no liability for any unintended effects arising from your receipt of data originating from PRICE Systems including this email and its attachments. Unintended effects include, but are not limited to, loss of data or service due to harmful or malicious software such as computer viruses. Computer viruses can be transmitted via email. The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. PRICE Systems accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.