Re: [XP] Re: Nonsense about Refactoring in .NET Blogs again

  • Keith Ray
    Message 1 of 96 , Dec 5, 2005
      chris wrote "Granted, you may have to ask your project
      management for a 1 week refactoring iteration for big refactorings.
      In fact, it might be a good idea to schedule a cleanup iteration from
      the get-go (say after 3 or 4 iterations"

      Once a team has a lot of practice in making small refactorings, it
      should not be necessary for them to schedule time for "cleanup
      iterations". On the other hand, with lots of legacy code, a clean-up
      would be as long as a rewrite, if done all at once.

      --
      C. Keith Ray
      Message 96 of 96 , Dec 12, 2005
        On Monday, December 12, 2005, at 12:25:46 PM, Sam Gentile wrote:

        > I hear you Ron but what about the issue of wanting to segregate out
        > Refactoring as a separate cost? Isn't a "software develeopment" cost?

        Would we segregate out the separate cost of "foreach" statements, or
        use of delegates? Would we segregate out the cost of testing?

        I would not.

        > don't know if this is semantics but the way I view the XP way and TDD, it is
        > so ingrained into the process, that I can't really separate the cost. If I
        > am truly doing Red-Green-Refactor every three lines of cost, IMHO I have one
        > cost to do that; the cost to write the unit test, the code to make that test
        > work and the tiny amount of refactoring before I iterate that process again
        > for the next three or so lines. I am not sure how I can even talk about a
        > cost of Refactoring in that scheme. I know it's more than zero but I don't
        > know how measurable it is. Am I making any sense? Its all blended in for me.

        The fact that it's hard to measure doesn't make it free?

        > I was addressing more of the "large-scale" refactorings originally,

        Yes. Those are more visibly not free.

        Master your instrument, master the music,
        and then forget all that *!xy!@ and just play. -- Charlie Parker