Testing Excel interface

  • Kenig, Neil
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2005
      We're building an Excel interface to one of our products. Nearly all of
      the functionality in our application that will be required by/driven by
      Excel is already covered by tests (the functionality that isn't covered
      by tests hasn't been written yet). Any suggestions for automating the
      testing of the Excel interface?

      One relatively easy approach is to record some Excel keyboard macros
      with fixed data. I was just wondering if anybody had any other
      successful approaches.

      Neil Kenig
      PRICE Systems, L.L.C.

      Attention: PRICE Systems, L.L.C. maintains a safe computing environment but accepts no liability for any unintended effects arising from your receipt of data originating from PRICE Systems including this email and its attachments. Unintended effects include, but are not limited to, loss of data or service due to harmful or malicious software such as computer viruses. Computer viruses can be transmitted via email. The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. PRICE Systems accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.

    • David Bogus
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 2, 2005
        I was just wondering if anybody had any other
        > successful approaches.

        Using ruby to drive excel though the WIN32OLE package.
        http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?ScriptingExcel

        Have not personally done this with excel but have done similar things
        with Internet Explorer.

        DmB

        --
        Dave's Definitions: Morning, is after I've slept for more than four
        hours. Lunch is the second meal of the day no matter the hour of