Re: [XP] Fit and Unit Tests, how to go about it

  • Jim Shore
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 1, 2005
      Hi, Dadi,

      Dadi Ingolfsson wrote:
      > This method you use to structure your specifications/tests, as in parse.html
      > in the Fit library, does it not feel a little bit cluttered and complex?
      > What I mean is, I would have thought that you would put the HTML parsing
      > tests into a test suite, like in FitNesse, and then have a test in there for
      > each of the cases? [...]

      I see your point and I would certainly do this if I felt I were writing
      tests. In this case, though, the testing aspect, while still important,
      is secondary.

      I'm more interested in providing a medium that's familiar to business
      experts so /they/ can write the examples. I use Fit to automatically
      check the examples and provide feedback, yes... but I still think of
      them as examples rather than tests, written by business experts from
      their perspective, using tools and approaches that are familiar to them.

      That's not to say that I put all of my Fit examples in a single
      document. Even the Fit spec, which is relatively small, has four files.
      I also use Word's automated 'table of contents' tool to provide a
      table of contents with links to various sections of the document.

      Still, managing a large set of Fit documents is a problem with Word.
      FitNesse does a great job of providing some tools to allow you to manage
      the overall document structure. If your business experts are
      comfortable with that approach, then by all means use it.

      The main thing I would recommend is to be careful of doing things that
      jeopardize the business experts' ownership of the Fit documents. I'll
      provide suggestions on layout but I won't make the changes myself. I've
      found that business experts are frequently surprised by how much careful
      thought is needed to flesh out "obvious" requirements into detailed Fit
      examples. They're all too often willing to relinquish ownership of the
      Fit documents to people less qualified than they are, and coming in to
      find everything in a different place could easily tip the scale.

      Cheers,
      Jim
      --
      James Shore -- Titanium IT -- Successful Software
      Recipient of 2005 Gordon Pask award for

      phone: 503-267-5490
      email: jshore@...
      web/blog: http://www.jamesshore.com