New Article on XProgramming.com

    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 30, 2005
      These notices go to a few individuals and a few lists. If you would
      like not to receive them any more, drop me a note. It's also OK to
      drop me a note saying that you /do/ like to receive them.

      And yes, I'll put RSS on the site soon. It's harder than it should
      be, and I'm lazier than I should be.

      Theory to the Rescue
      Ron Jeffries
      11/28/2005

      There's this hack where we return the elements of a set as if they
      were sets. Nothing like theory to fix a hack, is there? Naturally
      there are some stumbles along the way, mostly involving the tests.
      Remember who you're dealing with.

      http://www.xprogramming.com/xpmag/xstTheoryToTheRescue.htm

      Bang, bang, Jeffries' silver hammer came down upon their heads ...
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 3, 2005
        XST: Looking Around
        Ron Jeffries
        11/30/2005

        Some cleanup efforts lead us to a theoretical idea, and to a
        successful spike. Out of chaos, order.

        http://www.xprogramming.com/xpmag/xstLookingAround.htm

        In programming, do, or undo. There is always try. --Yoda
        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 11, 2005
          XST: Considering Some Exotic Transformations
          Ron Jeffries
          12/09/2005

          We're walking a narrow path bounded by theory and practice. This
          time we'll do some work on those records with holes in them, like
          the first-name set. In so doing, we'll try not just to hack in the
          code, but to keep it consistent with our understanding of the
          math. We don't really understand the requirements, or the theory.
          Can we possibly succeed?

          http://www.xprogramming.com/xpmag/xstTransforms.htm

          No one expects the Spanish Inquisition ...
          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 14, 2006
            Impact of Overtime on Productivity
            Ron Jeffries
            04/14/2006

            More features will always bring more revenue, more customer
            satisfaction, other good things. Therefore there is always
            pressure for people to work harder, longer hours. This is
            demonstrably a Bad Idea. Here's some evidence, and some ideas
            about how to know if pressure is too high.

            http://www.xprogramming.com/xpmag/jatSustainablePace.htm

            Bang, bang, Jeffries' silver hammer came down upon their heads ...
            Message 5 of 26 , Dec 22, 2006
              Shooting for Graphical Effect
              Ron Jeffries
              12/22/2006

              All right, already! We break down and draw a visible picture,
              mostly because I wanted Chet to share in the discovery and I knew
              I couldn't hold off over the holidays. It looks cool. Does it tell
              us anything?

              http://www.xprogramming.com/xpmag/dbcShootingForEffect.htm

              Those who believe complexity is elegant or required don't understand
              the problem. -- John Streiff