Re: [XP] Fit and Unit Tests, how to go about it

  • Christophe Thibaut
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 25, 2005
      Dale Emery a écrit:

      >I'm wondering about the advantages and disadvantages of using
      >Fit/FitNesse for unit tests. Has anybody tried this? How did it go?
      >
      >Dale

      Hi Dale,

      I've been using FitNesse as my only test framework for some hours on a
      toy problem. While I think it's a great tool for writing acceptance
      tests, I wasn't satisfied using it as a unit test harness because of the
      need to click the [test] link with the mouse (Maybe that would be easy
      to adress with a keyboard shortcut, though) and the fact that a wiki
      page showing tests results isn't exactly the same environment as the
      editor in which I write the code. I think that having a very few moves
      in order to go from the code to the tests is essential in order to keep
      focusing on the task. In one of my preferred programming environment,
      the tests execute every time I save my edits, without having to trigger
      anything in the IDE.

      Also the tabular form of FIT tests may give me a good documentation
      about the the domain but leads me further from the code intention, which
      is not necessarily what I want in my unit tests.

      My 2 cents (I'm a newbie with FIT/FitNesse)