A small victory!

  • Jason Almeter
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 21, 2005
      Different parts of my organization have adopted different bits and
      pieces of XP. One of the groups has been working toward a release in
      the mid December time frame. I have repeatedly urged them to focus on
      the minimum functionality to get out the door. Much to my
      frustration, I made little headway. Until today.

      Using some of the tracking data that we have available, I started
      building burn-down charts last week. When I built my chart this
      morning, imagine my surprize to see that scope was growing faster than
      work was getting finished. This week's status meeting was a bit more
      exciting than usual <grin/>. After a bit of lively discussion, the
      burn down was heading down again. After some more discussion, our mid
      December date was back in play.

      Today we cut scope.

      -Jason
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 21, 2005
        On Monday, November 21, 2005, at 8:52:22 PM, Jason Almeter wrote:

        > Different parts of my organization have adopted different bits and
        > pieces of XP. One of the groups has been working toward a release in
        > the mid December time frame. I have repeatedly urged them to focus on
        > the minimum functionality to get out the door. Much to my
        > frustration, I made little headway. Until today.

        > Using some of the tracking data that we have available, I started
        > building burn-down charts last week. When I built my chart this
        > morning, imagine my surprize to see that scope was growing faster than
        > work was getting finished. This week's status meeting was a bit more
        > exciting than usual <grin/>. After a bit of lively discussion, the
        > burn down was heading down again. After some more discussion, our mid
        > December date was back in play.

        > Today we cut scope.

        Please cross post this to scrumdevelopment. They're having a
        conversation on making promises.

        Or, if you will permit, I'll do so.

        I cannot find my duck.
      • Jason Almeter
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 22, 2005
          Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> writes:

          > On Monday, November 21, 2005, at 8:52:22 PM, Jason Almeter wrote:
          <snip/>
          >> Today we cut scope.
          >
          > Please cross post this to scrumdevelopment. They're having a
          > conversation on making promises.
          >
          > Or, if you will permit, I'll do so.

          I think I sent it there. If you don't see it there soon, feel free to
          forward it on.

          -jla
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 22, 2005
            On Tuesday, November 22, 2005, at 1:28:02 PM, Jason Almeter wrote:

            >> Please cross post this to scrumdevelopment. They're having a
            >> conversation on making promises.
            >>
            >> Or, if you will permit, I'll do so.

            > I think I sent it there. If you don't see it there soon, feel free to
            > forward it on.

            Thanks!

            Hope is not a strategy. -- Michael Henos
          • Jason Almeter
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 6, 2005
              Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> writes:

              > On Monday, November 21, 2005, at 8:52:22 PM, Jason Almeter wrote:
              >
              >> Different parts of my organization have adopted different bits and
              >> pieces of XP. One of the groups has been working toward a release in
              >> the mid December time frame. I have repeatedly urged them to focus on
              >> the minimum functionality to get out the door. Much to my
              >> frustration, I made little headway. Until today.
              >
              >> Using some of the tracking data that we have available, I started
              >> building burn-down charts last week. When I built my chart this
              >> morning, imagine my surprize to see that scope was growing faster than
              >> work was getting finished. This week's status meeting was a bit more
              >> exciting than usual <grin/>. After a bit of lively discussion, the
              >> burn down was heading down again. After some more discussion, our mid
              >> December date was back in play.
              >
              >> Today we cut scope.
              >
              > Please cross post this to scrumdevelopment. They're having a
              > conversation on making promises.
              >
              > Or, if you will permit, I'll do so.

              Feel free, I'm having trouble getting through.

              -Jason

              --

              jalmeter under 99 at yahoo