Using agile planning when giving a talk on what Agile is.....

  • Andrew McDonagh
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 8, 2005
      Next week I have to give an hours presentation on: Agile, TDD & Fitnesse

      A whole hour to cover all three! ;-)

      So I've been thinking all week how I could cover such a diverse topic
      range in such a limited time, and then realised the situation is very
      much like the work load we have on projects: - too much work!

      So then it became apparent that using the planning game and short
      iterations might be a way to approach this.

      Which is where it gets spooky!

      As reading Kevin Rutherford's blog he just posted about layered
      architecture vs hexagonal there's also an entry on using planning game
      and iterations as an approach he and Brian Button have used - brilliant
      timed Kevin!

      As I had been thinking about this approach I was very nervous as to
      whether it could work. Brian Button's and yours blog entries have helped
      me see that it can - and given me further food for thought.

      Just one of those spooky coincidences in life eh!

      Andrew
    • Brian Button
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 8, 2005
        Andrew McDonagh wrote:
        > Next week I have to give an hours presentation on: Agile, TDD & Fitnesse
        >
        > A whole hour to cover all three! ;-)
        >
        > So I've been thinking all week how I could cover such a diverse topic
        > range in such a limited time, and then realised the situation is very
        > much like the work load we have on projects: - too much work!
        >
        > So then it became apparent that using the planning game and short
        > iterations might be a way to approach this.
        >
        > Which is where it gets spooky!
        >
        > As reading Kevin Rutherford's blog he just posted about layered
        > architecture vs hexagonal there's also an entry on using planning game
        > and iterations as an approach he and Brian Button have used - brilliant
        > timed Kevin!
        >
        > As I had been thinking about this approach I was very nervous as to
        > whether it could work. Brian Button's and yours blog entries have helped
        > me see that it can - and given me further food for thought.
        >
        > Just one of those spooky coincidences in life eh!

        Hey, Andrew,

        These talks are a lot of fun to give, but you have to be prepared to
        keep control of the audience. To do it, you need to keep control over
        the iteration length, which means that you need to be able to manage the
        flow of questions and answers, especially between iterations.

        If you don't do this, you end up not being able to use Yesterday's
        Weather to plan your next iteration, since much of the content came
        between iterations.

        Just a word to the wise :)

        bab

        --
        Brian Button bbutton@...
        Principal Consultant http://www.agilesolutionsgroup.com

      • Andrew McDonagh
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 8, 2005
          Brian Button wrote:

          >Andrew McDonagh wrote:
          >

          >>Next week I have to give an hours presentation on: Agile, TDD & Fitnesse
          >>
          >>A whole hour to cover all three! ;-)
          >>
          >>So I've been thinking all week how I could cover such a diverse topic
          >>range in such a limited time, and then realised the situation is very
          >>much like the work load we have on projects: - too much work!
          >>
          >>So then it became apparent that using the planning game and short
          >>iterations might be a way to approach this.
          >>
          >>Which is where it gets spooky!
          >>
          >>As reading Kevin Rutherford's blog he just posted about layered
          >>architecture vs hexagonal there's also an entry on using planning game
          >>and iterations as an approach he and Brian Button have used - brilliant
          >>timed Kevin!
          >>
          >>As I had been thinking about this approach I was very nervous as to
          >>whether it could work. Brian Button's and yours blog entries have helped
          >>me see that it can - and given me further food for thought.
          >>
          >>Just one of those spooky coincidences in life eh!
          >>

          >Hey, Andrew,
          >
          >These talks are a lot of fun to give, but you have to be prepared to
          >keep control of the audience. To do it, you need to keep control over
          >the iteration length, which means that you need to be able to manage the
          >flow of questions and answers, especially between iterations.
          >
          >If you don't do this, you end up not being able to use Yesterday's
          >Weather to plan your next iteration, since much of the content came
          >between iterations.
          >
          >Just a word to the wise :)
          >
          >bab

          Brilliant, thanks for the tip - its exactly what I'm after!

          Andy