Re: [XP] The relationship of Expediency and Simplest Thing

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 7, 2005
      On Monday, November 7, 2005, at 8:46:27 AM, geoffrey_slinker wrote:

      > I am wondering if expediency is the fundamental driving force behind
      > the "simplest thing".

      > I use the term expedient as it is related to meeting an urgent need.
      > Ugent as in having the sense of pressing importance.

      I don't think I'd say that. I think doing the simplest thing that
      could possibly work is more a matter of efficiency.

      If we do more than the simplest thing, we will be wasting effort on
      infrastructure that could have delivered more business value. If we
      do less than what can work, we will create an inferior design, which
      will slow us down, causing us to delivery less business value than
      was possible.

      The "simplest" rule keeps us on the knife edge of waste through
      doing too much, and waste through doing too little.

      If not now, when? -- The Talmud