Re: [XP] Informative workspace

  • William Pietri
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 7, 2005
      Ilja Preuss wrote:

      >For data that we don't need to update that often, a manual chart on the wall
      >actually works *much* better, in my experience. It is more tangible and
      >involving, especially if you can make updating it a team ritual.

      I agree completely. With this weekly data:

      http://www.scissor.com/resources/teamroom/#agenda

      we semi-randomly rotated who updated it every week. I think the fact
      that everybody was comfortable changing it was a factor in the addition
      of a couple of valuable metrics, both of which were just put up there by
      developers.

      I think it's similar to the magic that powers Wikis. Many of the
      Wikipedia contributors I've looked at started out with minor edits with
      no intention of doing anything more. But there's a virtuous circle: the
      power to change things encourages more careful attention. That leads to
      more tinkering, which if successful gives a greater feeling of power and
      more of a sense of ownership.

      William