Building the detailed design for implementing requirements

  • geoffrey_slinker
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 7, 2005
      After the product requirements are gathered we then plan each iteration.

      The "Customer" selects the user stories for this iteration. The team
      discusses these 'requirements' until it seems everyone is on the same
      page.

      Now we design the system with enough detail that we know how to
      implement the stories.

      a) Do you feel this is too much design or BDUF?
      b) Do you feel the customer should participate in this /programmer-
      centric/ activity?
      c) If the customer is involved, how do you handle the situation when
      the programmers are speaking programmerese and the customer's eyes roll
      up into their head?

      Geoff
    • William Pietri
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 7, 2005
        Hi, Geoff. Good question, and I appreciate the clear and succinct
        phrasing of it.

        geoffrey_slinker wrote:

        >After the product requirements are gathered we then plan each iteration.
        >
        >The "Customer" selects the user stories for this iteration. The team
        >discusses these 'requirements' until it seems everyone is on the same
        >page.
        >
        >Now we design the system with enough detail that we know how to
        >implement the stories.
        >
        >a) Do you feel this is too much design or BDUF?
        >b) Do you feel the customer should participate in this /programmer-
        >centric/ activity?
        >c) If the customer is involved, how do you handle the situation when
        >the programmers are speaking programmerese and the customer's eyes roll
        >up into their head?

        My approach for the iteration planning meeting: with the customer
        present, we do just enough design to give them a reliable estimate. If
        we can't do that, we estimate the cost of estimating, and make that its
        own card (a spike).

        Next we let the customer go and do just enough joint design that nobody
        feels scared and the pairs won't step on one another. Then we get to work.

        When a pair gets into a story, they do enough up-front design that they
        feel comfortable writing some tests and making them pass.

        If in the middle of implementing something a pair wants to raise a
        broader issue with the team, they do so. Those interested in solving it
        step aside and hammer things out. The rest get on with working.

        William
      • geoffrey_slinker
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 7, 2005
          --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, William Pietri
          > Next we let the customer go and do just enough joint design that
          nobody
          > feels scared and the pairs won't step on one another.

          I am sorry, but I can read the above statement two ways.

          1) Next we allow the customer to go and do just enough joint design
          that nobody feels scared...

          2) Next we let the customer leave and we do just enough join design
          that nobody feels scared...

          Geoff
        • William Pietri
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 7, 2005
            geoffrey_slinker wrote:

            >--- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, William Pietri
            >

            >>Next we let the customer go and do just enough joint design that
            >>nobody feels scared and the pairs won't step on one another.
            >>

            >I am sorry, but I can read the above statement two ways.

            Ah, thanks for catching that. I meant that before we start speaking
            geek, we allow the customer to get on with other work. They're welcome
            to stay, and we prefer that they work nearby so that we can ask
            non-technical questions that might come up. But I like to rig things so
            that the only required meeting participants are ones who are fully engaged.

            William