  • deech_99
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 4, 2005
      Hi all,
      I want create a medium size program (~10-20,000 lines) that I
      eventually hope to release open-source. This falls more into the
      'labor of love' category than anything else, so I have no deadline -
      on the other hand I don't have a second set of eyes available to
      professional coders.

      I have a BS in Computer Science, but no professional programming
      experience.

      Is there any effective methodology out there for solo programming?

      Thanks...
      Deech
    • Jeff Kingery
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 4, 2005
        My 2 cents worth:

        1. Work in absurdly small increments.
        2. Develop test-first (TDD).
        3. Refactor often (Simplify, simplify...).
        4. Instead of waiting until it's "all done" to release, release a new
        version every time you add significant functionality.
        5. Get feedback from others - if it's a labor of love, there are
        presumably others who share the same love. They don't have to be
        developers, just users of your program.

        Hope this helps.

        Jeff

        I want create a medium size program (~10-20,000 lines) that I
        eventually hope to release open-source. This falls more into the
        'labor of love' category than anything else, so I have no deadline -
        on the other hand I don't have a second set of eyes available to
        professional coders.

        I have a BS in Computer Science, but no professional programming
        experience.

        Is there any effective methodology out there for solo programming?

        Thanks...
        Deech

        ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com
        Yahoo! Groups Links

        11/3/2005
      • Greg Akins
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 5, 2005
          I'd also suggest reading "Open Source Development with
          CVS: Learn How to Work With Open Source Software"

          I felt that it gave a great overview working on OSS
          projects (along with the technical aspects of working
          with CVS, which will be important as you release to
          the community).