Re: [XP] TDD - Test Passes before code was wrote...

  • Chris Wheeler
    Message 1 of 31 , Nov 1, 2005

      > I've had this happen a number of times. When it does happen, either:
      >
      > 1. My test is wrong, or
      > 2. I had written speculative production code, or
      > 3. I'm having a very bad day

      You frame this happenstance in a negative light. I've experienced cases
      where I was asked to see if the system did something, and because the design
      was simple and effective and correct, it passed the test immediately.

      It's a great feeling, it doesn't happen often, but it does. One should
      expect that their systems and designs behave like this once in while because
      good designs are about discovery, and sometimes we discover that our design
      actually does a little extra - including working under a condition that we
      didn't expect it to work under.

      Chris.

      --
      Chris Wheeler
      www.agilelectric.com <http://www.agilelectric.com>

    • J. B. Rainsberger
      Message 31 of 31 , Nov 7, 2005
        Chris Wheeler wrote:

        >>I've had this happen a number of times. When it does happen, either:
        >>
        >>1. My test is wrong, or
        >>2. I had written speculative production code, or
        >>3. I'm having a very bad day
        >
        > You frame this happenstance in a negative light. I've experienced cases
        > where I was asked to see if the system did something, and because the design
        > was simple and effective and correct, it passed the test immediately.
        >
        > It's a great feeling, it doesn't happen often, but it does. One should
        > expect that their systems and designs behave like this once in while because
        > good designs are about discovery, and sometimes we discover that our design
        > actually does a little extra - including working under a condition that we
        > didn't expect it to work under.

        Yes. My underlying assumption was that, when running the test, I didn't
        expect it to pass. Sometimes I write tests that I expect to pass -- or
        at least have reason to believe might pass -- for exactly the reason you
        cite.

        In general, though, I expect the new test to fail. When it doesn't, I
        start out suspicious, then try to rule out the negative cases I cited
        above. If none of those explanations work, then I must simply have
        (happily) accidentally got it right. I'm just not ready to let that be
        my default reaction.

        --
        J. B. (Joe) Rainsberger
        Diaspar Software Services