Re: [XP] Informative workspace

  • William Wake
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 1, 2005
      On 10/31/05, J. B. Rainsberger <jbrains@...> wrote:
      > Kevin Trethewey wrote:
      > > Does anyone have a link to a website or other good resource where i might be
      > > able to get posters or diagrams that we could put up around our office
      > > space?
      >
      > One thing I know in this direction is the XP Cube, from Bill Wake. You
      > can find out about it at xp123.com. It reminds programmers about the TDD
      > cycle.

      (Send me your physical address and I'm happy to send you a cube.)

      To be a little more specific about what else is there:

      http://xp123.com/xplor/ - has a bunch of articles, some with
      interesting diagrams:)

      http://xp123.com/jobaids/index.shtml - toward the bottom of the page,
      there are job aids related to software - XP on a page, coding standard
      on a page, configuration management on a page, ...

      I know Object Mentor and the Agile Alliance have had posters in the
      post. I don't know if they still have them and if they sell them (or
      give them away).

      There are also interesting diagrams on the xprogramming.com and
      extremeprogramming.org sites.

      Regards,
      --
      Bill Wake William.Wake@... www.xp123.com
    • William Pietri
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 1, 2005
        Steven J. Owens wrote:

        >On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 09:00:53AM +0200, Kevin Trethewey wrote:
        >

        >>I would like to get some posters up on the values, principles and
        >>practices of XP - the sort of thing that will assist them to be aware of the
        >>way they should be thinking and doing things day to day.
        >>

        > Post-It sells these giant Post-It tablets. You can buy markers
        >at a variety of convenient stores :-).

        That's actually an excellent suggestion. Part of XP comes from its
        participatory power. Having a map of the territory is good; I'm fond of
        Ron's concentric-circles diagram. But Kevin, it may be even better if
        you get the people in the room to maintain a list of the practices that
        *they* think are important to focus on. Updating that could be a part of
        your weekly meeting.

        William

      • Ilja Preuss
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 2, 2005
          > That's actually an excellent suggestion. Part of XP comes from its
          > participatory power. Having a map of the territory is good; I'm fond
          > of Ron's concentric-circles diagram. But Kevin, it may be even better
          > if you get the people in the room to maintain a list of the practices
          > that
          > *they* think are important to focus on. Updating that could be a part
          > of your weekly meeting.

          I wholeheartedly agree. Some additional suggestions:

          - make it simple. Focus on two or three practices that are most important to
          the team.
          - make it flashy - big and multi-colored. (The colors don't have to mean
          anything.)
          - think about doing a Big Visible Chart on how the team is improving. For
          example, have a tally on tests written in a week or something.

          Cheers, Ilja
          --
          disy Informationssysteme GmbH
          Ilja Preuß, Software Engineer

          http://www.disy.net/cadenza - Berichte und Auswertungen mit Raumbezug
          http://www.disy.net/e-meetings - Telefon- und Web-Konferenzen
        • Sam Gentile
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 2, 2005
            As others have pointed out, part of XP's power comes from partipatory
            activities. Try to involve the Whole Team to come up with a list that is
            important to them and in everything you do. The power doesn't come from
            books and charts but organically from involving people in the process and
            learning from it. We also have employed the Big Visible Chart on our Agile
            team and it is really helping.

            All the best,

            --
            Sam Gentile
            INETA Speaker, Microsoft MVP-Solutions Architect, UG Leader Beantown .NET

          • Kent Beck
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 4, 2005
              Kevin,

              I like my workspace to be about my project. My goal is to be able to walk in
              the room and in a few seconds get a sense of how the project is doing.
              Having a sense of how the project is going helps me direct my efforts
              efficiently toward shared goals and helps me feel connected to the team.

              This seems different to me than "assist them to be aware of the way they
              should be thinking". I resist when someone tells me how I should think, even
              if I "should" be thinking that way.

              Take continuous integration for example. I could put up a poster of a
              glowering Uncle Sam pointing his finger and saying, "I want YOU to check in
              soon". Or I could put up a chart with a green or red dot on the X axis
              whenever a build succeeds or fails. The poster seems pushy and controlling
              to me but the chart seems helpful. Stacking several weeks worth of data one
              above the other might help me spot ineffective patterns like everyone
              waiting until the end of the day to check in or the last check in of the day
              causing the build to fail.

              What about your project would you like to be more aware of?

              Kent Beck
              Three Rivers Institute

            • Alex Pimenov
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 4, 2005
                > I like my workspace to be about my project. My goal is to be able to walk in
                > the room and in a few seconds get a sense of how the project is doing.
                > Having a sense of how the project is going helps me direct my efforts
                > efficiently toward shared goals and helps me feel connected to the team.
                >
                > This seems different to me than "assist them to be aware of the way they
                > should be thinking". I resist when someone tells me how I should think, even
                > if I "should" be thinking that way.
                >
                > Take continuous integration for example. I could put up a poster of a
                > glowering Uncle Sam pointing his finger and saying, "I want YOU to
                > check in soon". Or I could put up a chart with a green or red dot on
                > the X axis whenever a build succeeds or fails. The poster seems pushy
                > and controlling to me but the chart seems helpful. Stacking several
                > weeks worth of data one above the other might help me spot
                > ineffective patterns like everyone waiting until the end of the day
                > to check in or the last check in of the day
                > causing the build to fail.

                Some of our customers reported that they made a browser
                to open Parabuild's recent continous integration builds
                results when a workstation is powered up to see what has
                been going on, something like that:

                http://www.viewtier.com/products/parabuild/screenshots/screen_shot_4_build_history.htm

                The good thing about this approach is that this data is live,
                not something hanging on the wall (unless you have hung
                an LCD on the wall :)

                --Alex
              • Ilja Preuss
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 7, 2005
                  > Some of our customers reported that they made a browser
                  > to open Parabuild's recent continous integration builds
                  > results when a workstation is powered up to see what has
                  > been going on, something like that:
                  >
                  > http://www.viewtier.com/products/parabuild/screenshots/screen_
                  > shot_4_build_history.htm

                  We have something similar: a "telemetrics monitor" with a web-browser
                  cycling through interesting project web pages every twenty seconds - Cruise
                  Control state, complete bug list etc.

                  > The good thing about this approach is that this data is live, not
                  > something hanging on the wall

                  That's not exclusively a good thing, not at all. It's good for data that
                  changes very frequently, such as every couple of minutes, because updating
                  that manually often seems unrealistic.

                  For data that we don't need to update that often, a manual chart on the wall
                  actually works *much* better, in my experience. It is more tangible and
                  involving, especially if you can make updating it a team ritual.

                  Cheers, Ilja
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 7, 2005
                    On Monday, November 7, 2005, at 6:43:05 AM, Ilja Preuss wrote:

                    > For data that we don't need to update that often, a manual chart on the wall
                    > actually works *much* better, in my experience. It is more tangible and
                    > involving, especially if you can make updating it a team ritual.

                    And it can be bigger and eye-catching, without costing much at all.

                    How do I know what I think until I hear what I say? -- E M Forster
                  • Ilja Preuss
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 7, 2005
                      extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                      > On Monday, November 7, 2005, at 6:43:05 AM, Ilja Preuss wrote:
                      >
                      >> For data that we don't need to update that often, a manual chart on
                      >> the wall actually works *much* better, in my experience. It is more
                      >> tangible and involving, especially if you can make updating it a team
                      >> ritual.
                      >
                      > And it can be bigger and eye-catching, without costing much at all.

                      Regarding big, I think it would be cool to have a beamer beaming our
                      telemetrics info on a big wall. I suspect that a handdrawn thing still is
                      better, typically.

                      As an aside, a coworker added an applet to the telemetrics page that lets
                      grow a cactus each day. At the end of the day it even starts to bloom. It
                      turned out to be a real eye-catcher - often I just look at the monitor to
                      see the current cactus, and sometimes I end up spotting some other
                      interesting info on the way, too...

                      Cheers, Ilja
                    • William Pietri
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 7, 2005
                        Ilja Preuss wrote:

                        >For data that we don't need to update that often, a manual chart on the wall
                        >actually works *much* better, in my experience. It is more tangible and
                        >involving, especially if you can make updating it a team ritual.

                        I agree completely. With this weekly data:

                        http://www.scissor.com/resources/teamroom/#agenda

                        we semi-randomly rotated who updated it every week. I think the fact
                        that everybody was comfortable changing it was a factor in the addition
                        of a couple of valuable metrics, both of which were just put up there by
                        developers.

                        I think it's similar to the magic that powers Wikis. Many of the
                        Wikipedia contributors I've looked at started out with minor edits with
                        no intention of doing anything more. But there's a virtuous circle: the
                        power to change things encourages more careful attention. That leads to
                        more tinkering, which if successful gives a greater feeling of power and
                        more of a sense of ownership.

                        William