Informative workspace

  • Kevin Trethewey
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 30, 2005
      Morning all

      I have just started a contract with a new company that is trying to move
      into an XP style of development. Most of the team members have never worked
      in an XP/Agile environment before and in line with the informative workspace
      practice I would like to get some posters up on the values, principles and
      practices of XP - the sort of thing that will assist them to be aware of the
      way they should be thinking and doing things day to day.

      Does anyone have a link to a website or other good resource where i might be
      able to get posters or diagrams that we could put up around our office
      space?

      Best Regards
      Kevin Trethewey

    • J. B. Rainsberger
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 31, 2005
        Kevin Trethewey wrote:
        > Morning all
        >
        > I have just started a contract with a new company that is trying to move
        > into an XP style of development. Most of the team members have never worked
        > in an XP/Agile environment before and in line with the informative workspace
        > practice I would like to get some posters up on the values, principles and
        > practices of XP - the sort of thing that will assist them to be aware of the
        > way they should be thinking and doing things day to day.
        >
        > Does anyone have a link to a website or other good resource where i might be
        > able to get posters or diagrams that we could put up around our office
        > space?

        One thing I know in this direction is the XP Cube, from Bill Wake. You
        can find out about it at xp123.com. It reminds programmers about the TDD
        cycle.
        --
        J. B. (Joe) Rainsberger
        Diaspar Software Services
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 31, 2005
          On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 09:00:53AM +0200, Kevin Trethewey wrote:
          > I have just started a contract with a new company that is trying to move
          > into an XP style of development. Most of the team members have never worked
          > in an XP/Agile environment before and in line with the informative workspace
          > practice I would like to get some posters up on the values, principles and
          > practices of XP - the sort of thing that will assist them to be aware of the
          > way they should be thinking and doing things day to day.
          >
          > Does anyone have a link to a website or other good resource where i might be
          > able to get posters or diagrams that we could put up around our office
          > space?

          Post-It sells these giant Post-It tablets. You can buy markers
          at a variety of convenient stores :-).

          --
          Steven J. Owens
          puff@...

          Take it all with a grain of salt." - http://darksleep.com/notablog
        • William Wake
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 1, 2005
            On 10/31/05, J. B. Rainsberger <jbrains@...> wrote:
            > Kevin Trethewey wrote:
            > > Does anyone have a link to a website or other good resource where i might be
            > > able to get posters or diagrams that we could put up around our office
            > > space?
            >
            > One thing I know in this direction is the XP Cube, from Bill Wake. You
            > can find out about it at xp123.com. It reminds programmers about the TDD
            > cycle.

            (Send me your physical address and I'm happy to send you a cube.)

            To be a little more specific about what else is there:

            http://xp123.com/xplor/ - has a bunch of articles, some with
            interesting diagrams:)

            http://xp123.com/jobaids/index.shtml - toward the bottom of the page,
            there are job aids related to software - XP on a page, coding standard
            on a page, configuration management on a page, ...

            I know Object Mentor and the Agile Alliance have had posters in the
            post. I don't know if they still have them and if they sell them (or
            give them away).

            There are also interesting diagrams on the xprogramming.com and
            extremeprogramming.org sites.

            Regards,
            --
            Bill Wake William.Wake@... www.xp123.com
          • William Pietri
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 1, 2005
              Steven J. Owens wrote:

              >On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 09:00:53AM +0200, Kevin Trethewey wrote:
              >

              >>I would like to get some posters up on the values, principles and
              >>practices of XP - the sort of thing that will assist them to be aware of the
              >>way they should be thinking and doing things day to day.
              >>

              > Post-It sells these giant Post-It tablets. You can buy markers
              >at a variety of convenient stores :-).

              That's actually an excellent suggestion. Part of XP comes from its
              participatory power. Having a map of the territory is good; I'm fond of
              Ron's concentric-circles diagram. But Kevin, it may be even better if
              you get the people in the room to maintain a list of the practices that
              *they* think are important to focus on. Updating that could be a part of
              your weekly meeting.

              William

            • Ilja Preuss
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 2, 2005
                > That's actually an excellent suggestion. Part of XP comes from its
                > participatory power. Having a map of the territory is good; I'm fond
                > of Ron's concentric-circles diagram. But Kevin, it may be even better
                > if you get the people in the room to maintain a list of the practices
                > that
                > *they* think are important to focus on. Updating that could be a part
                > of your weekly meeting.

                I wholeheartedly agree. Some additional suggestions:

                - make it simple. Focus on two or three practices that are most important to
                the team.
                - make it flashy - big and multi-colored. (The colors don't have to mean
                anything.)
                - think about doing a Big Visible Chart on how the team is improving. For
                example, have a tally on tests written in a week or something.

                Cheers, Ilja
                --
                disy Informationssysteme GmbH
                Ilja Preuß, Software Engineer

                http://www.disy.net/cadenza - Berichte und Auswertungen mit Raumbezug
                http://www.disy.net/e-meetings - Telefon- und Web-Konferenzen
              • Sam Gentile
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 2, 2005
                  As others have pointed out, part of XP's power comes from partipatory
                  activities. Try to involve the Whole Team to come up with a list that is
                  important to them and in everything you do. The power doesn't come from
                  books and charts but organically from involving people in the process and
                  learning from it. We also have employed the Big Visible Chart on our Agile
                  team and it is really helping.

                  All the best,

                  --
                  Sam Gentile
                  INETA Speaker, Microsoft MVP-Solutions Architect, UG Leader Beantown .NET

                • Kent Beck
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 4, 2005
                    Kevin,

                    I like my workspace to be about my project. My goal is to be able to walk in
                    the room and in a few seconds get a sense of how the project is doing.
                    Having a sense of how the project is going helps me direct my efforts
                    efficiently toward shared goals and helps me feel connected to the team.

                    This seems different to me than "assist them to be aware of the way they
                    should be thinking". I resist when someone tells me how I should think, even
                    if I "should" be thinking that way.

                    Take continuous integration for example. I could put up a poster of a
                    glowering Uncle Sam pointing his finger and saying, "I want YOU to check in
                    soon". Or I could put up a chart with a green or red dot on the X axis
                    whenever a build succeeds or fails. The poster seems pushy and controlling
                    to me but the chart seems helpful. Stacking several weeks worth of data one
                    above the other might help me spot ineffective patterns like everyone
                    waiting until the end of the day to check in or the last check in of the day
                    causing the build to fail.

                    What about your project would you like to be more aware of?

                    Kent Beck
                    Three Rivers Institute

                  • Alex Pimenov
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 4, 2005
                      > I like my workspace to be about my project. My goal is to be able to walk in
                      > the room and in a few seconds get a sense of how the project is doing.
                      > Having a sense of how the project is going helps me direct my efforts
                      > efficiently toward shared goals and helps me feel connected to the team.
                      >
                      > This seems different to me than "assist them to be aware of the way they
                      > should be thinking". I resist when someone tells me how I should think, even
                      > if I "should" be thinking that way.
                      >
                      > Take continuous integration for example. I could put up a poster of a
                      > glowering Uncle Sam pointing his finger and saying, "I want YOU to
                      > check in soon". Or I could put up a chart with a green or red dot on
                      > the X axis whenever a build succeeds or fails. The poster seems pushy
                      > and controlling to me but the chart seems helpful. Stacking several
                      > weeks worth of data one above the other might help me spot
                      > ineffective patterns like everyone waiting until the end of the day
                      > to check in or the last check in of the day
                      > causing the build to fail.

                      Some of our customers reported that they made a browser
                      to open Parabuild's recent continous integration builds
                      results when a workstation is powered up to see what has
                      been going on, something like that:

                      http://www.viewtier.com/products/parabuild/screenshots/screen_shot_4_build_history.htm

                      The good thing about this approach is that this data is live,
                      not something hanging on the wall (unless you have hung
                      an LCD on the wall :)

                      --Alex
                    • Ilja Preuss
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 7, 2005
                        > Some of our customers reported that they made a browser
                        > to open Parabuild's recent continous integration builds
                        > results when a workstation is powered up to see what has
                        > been going on, something like that:
                        >
                        > http://www.viewtier.com/products/parabuild/screenshots/screen_
                        > shot_4_build_history.htm

                        We have something similar: a "telemetrics monitor" with a web-browser
                        cycling through interesting project web pages every twenty seconds - Cruise
                        Control state, complete bug list etc.

                        > The good thing about this approach is that this data is live, not
                        > something hanging on the wall

                        That's not exclusively a good thing, not at all. It's good for data that
                        changes very frequently, such as every couple of minutes, because updating
                        that manually often seems unrealistic.

                        For data that we don't need to update that often, a manual chart on the wall
                        actually works *much* better, in my experience. It is more tangible and
                        involving, especially if you can make updating it a team ritual.

                        Cheers, Ilja
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 7, 2005
                          On Monday, November 7, 2005, at 6:43:05 AM, Ilja Preuss wrote:

                          > For data that we don't need to update that often, a manual chart on the wall
                          > actually works *much* better, in my experience. It is more tangible and
                          > involving, especially if you can make updating it a team ritual.

                          And it can be bigger and eye-catching, without costing much at all.

                          How do I know what I think until I hear what I say? -- E M Forster
                        • Ilja Preuss
                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 7, 2005
                            extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                            > On Monday, November 7, 2005, at 6:43:05 AM, Ilja Preuss wrote:
                            >
                            >> For data that we don't need to update that often, a manual chart on
                            >> the wall actually works *much* better, in my experience. It is more
                            >> tangible and involving, especially if you can make updating it a team
                            >> ritual.
                            >
                            > And it can be bigger and eye-catching, without costing much at all.

                            Regarding big, I think it would be cool to have a beamer beaming our
                            telemetrics info on a big wall. I suspect that a handdrawn thing still is
                            better, typically.

                            As an aside, a coworker added an applet to the telemetrics page that lets
                            grow a cactus each day. At the end of the day it even starts to bloom. It
                            turned out to be a real eye-catcher - often I just look at the monitor to
                            see the current cactus, and sometimes I end up spotting some other
                            interesting info on the way, too...

                            Cheers, Ilja
                          • William Pietri
                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 7, 2005
                              Ilja Preuss wrote:

                              >For data that we don't need to update that often, a manual chart on the wall
                              >actually works *much* better, in my experience. It is more tangible and
                              >involving, especially if you can make updating it a team ritual.

                              I agree completely. With this weekly data:

                              http://www.scissor.com/resources/teamroom/#agenda

                              we semi-randomly rotated who updated it every week. I think the fact
                              that everybody was comfortable changing it was a factor in the addition
                              of a couple of valuable metrics, both of which were just put up there by
                              developers.

                              I think it's similar to the magic that powers Wikis. Many of the
                              Wikipedia contributors I've looked at started out with minor edits with
                              no intention of doing anything more. But there's a virtuous circle: the
                              power to change things encourages more careful attention. That leads to
                              more tinkering, which if successful gives a greater feeling of power and
                              more of a sense of ownership.

                              William