[extremeprogramming] XP and CRC Books

  • Gale, Paul
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2000
      Hi,

      Kent's XP book recommends using CRC cards as part of the design process. I
      have come across two books on CRC cards, namely:

      1) The CRC Card Book (Addison-Wesley Object Technology Series) by David
      Bellin
      2) Using CRC Cards: An Informal Approach to Object-Oriented Development by
      Nancy M. Wilkinson

      Which title do people on this list prefer and why? Both titles are at least
      a few years old now. Are any of the experts present on this list intending
      to write a CRC book of their own (hint, hint Rob Martin :))?

      I believe that Kent plans on a second book in his XP series. Does anyone
      know a publication date? I've heard that its entitled "Planning to Win"?
      I've also heard that Ken Auer (Role Model Software) is writing an XP book
      too. Any dates?

      later,
      Paul
    • Stephen McDonald
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2000
        I'm currently reading "The CRC Card Book" by David Bellin and
        Susan Suchman Simone - forewards by Kent Beck and Ward Cunningham.
        What I like is the emphasis on using CRC cards for group
        development. They're presented as a way for a group to exchange ideas.
        That said, CRC cards are a pretty straightforward idea and
        probably don't need a whole book. The authors flesh this one out with
        an introduction to object oriented programming and lots of words.
        I chose this book over the others because it's newer and
        because of the forewarders.
        Stephen McDonald

        >Hi,
        >
        >Kent's XP book recommends using CRC cards as part of the design process. I
        >have come across two books on CRC cards, namely:
        >
        >1) The CRC Card Book (Addison-Wesley Object Technology Series) by David
        >Bellin
        >2) Using CRC Cards: An Informal Approach to Object-Oriented Development by
        >Nancy M. Wilkinson
        >
        >Which title do people on this list prefer and why? Both titles are at least
        >a few years old now. Are any of the experts present on this list intending
        >to write a CRC book of their own (hint, hint Rob Martin :))?
        >
        >I believe that Kent plans on a second book in his XP series. Does anyone
        >know a publication date? I've heard that its entitled "Planning to Win"?
        >I've also heard that Ken Auer (Role Model Software) is writing an XP book
        >too. Any dates?
        >
        >later,
        >Paul
      • Kent Beck
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2000
          The Planning Game book will be out 2Q this year, perhaps by JavaOne if we
          get with it.

          I'm not thrilled by either CRC card book, although I prefer The CRC Card
          Book because it focuses more on the human side of the interaction.

          My advice: Do it. Start simply. Grow slowly. Start coding when you can.

          Kent
        • Ken Auer
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 3, 2000
            >Paul Gale wrote:
            > I believe that Kent plans on a second book in his XP series. Does anyone
            > know a publication date? I've heard that its entitled "Planning to Win"?
            > I've also heard that Ken Auer (Role Model Software) is writing an XP book
            > too. Any dates?

            I'm writing this "Extreme Programming Applied: Playing to Win!" with Ward
            Cunningham as well as contributions from others. It will hopefully hit the
            bookshelves in late 3Q or early 4Q. The focus of the book is basically the
            pioneers writing back to those who might want to "head west" and giving them
            advice on what they are going to face and encourage them in their own
            journeys.

            Sorry if I don't reply to all of you who are wanting to head west in this
            group but:
            - most people are responded to before I get to it. (Running a company who
            does XP, doing it myself, and writing a book seems to take a lot more time
            than being an independent consultant teaching others to do XP... Hey Kent,
            Ron, etc. when do the 40 hour work weeks start again?)
            - we're writing one big response, so keep those questions (and answers)
            coming :-)

            Ken
            Ken Auer <kauer@...>
            The Extreme Programming Software Studio(TM)
            RoleModel Software <http://www.rolemodelsoft.com> (v) 919-557-6352
            5004 Rossmore Dr. (f) 919-552-8166
            Fuquay-Varina, NC 27526 (m) 919-630-5807
            "Christianity is not a plug-in, it's an operating system"
            Mark 12:28-31